The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a CRP BAK (single) protein skimmer that I just added to my 60 gallon tank. I made a muffler of sorts for the air line that eliminated the noise it was making but the main unit is making a loud humming sound. It sounds fairly loud and is much louder than my HOB dual-chamber filter. I expected it to be fairly quiet since the motor is in the tank and under water. Anyone else have the same issue? Resolutions?

Here is a link to a YouTube video I took of the noise.

https://youtu.be/Qum9H0goLcg

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Mine was really loud too. I just stopped using it. Sorry, that’s not a huge help, huh? :p I think most HOB skimmers are on the loud side - or seem to be since they’re so out in the open.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures

Here are a few pictures. I'm concerned with the amount of bubbles coming out of the filter back into the tank. I'm guessing that is related to my noise issue. I try closing the valve and it doesn't make a different. I kink the line and it quiets a little.

Seems like I have something wrong here, any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer, and it also hums. On mine, it's definitely the top of the collection cup that's making noise as a result of the pump vibration. I haven't done anything about it yet, but my plan is to put a thin foam or rubber strip around the edge of the lid where it contacts the cup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts