The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CPR BAK PAK II on my 55 gallon reef. It has worked fine for a few years, but lately it is overworking. The intake chamber (where the collection cup rests) is constantly filled with foam and sometimes over flowing outside the skimmer. The collection tray is positioned almost as high as possible so that only waste is collected, but it fills with liquid almost over night. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Have you added anything to the tank such as water conditioners or fed food with gel binders? Sometimes those things can cause a skimmer to act up. If not maybe you need to check where the air enters the pump. It may be stopped up a little causing the pump to push more water. Also, you may want to check the outlet to make sure a snail hasn't crawled up in there and is blocking it.
Steve

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine did the same thing,but only after treating the tank for a cyano bacteria(red slime) outbreak.Did you add anything to the tank lately to cause the skimmer to overwork.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No... the only things I have added lately are the usual additives, Calcium, trace elements, etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do add a small amount of water conditioner to remove chlorine from the water. I usually use tap water to top off my tank. I know I should use RO/DI, but it isn't always on hand at my house. Another problem in itself... but, this could be a cause of the skimmer problem?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have heard of some water conditioners causing skimmers to overflow. But, have you just started to use the conditioner or did you change brands? Since the skimmer worked fine for a few years if you had been using a water conditioner in that time it seems that it woiuld have happened before.
Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed brands about 2 months ago. I am not really sure when the skimmer problem began, but I am just now to the point that it is annoying and want to fix it. I do know it started withing the last month.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
I changed brands about 2 months ago.
Could be this?

IMO - Try stopping it for a few weeks or go back to the old brand for a while and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts