The Reef Tank banner

Cowfish in a reef tank?

14K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Doug1 
#1 ·
Hi everybody! I've heard that cowfish cannot be kept in a reef aquarium as the readily devour inverts. But one of my friends has a cowfish in his reef tank. Is that just the exception? Does anybody else have cowfish in their reef tanks. Their just so cute and have a puppy personality!:) Thanks!
Austin

#2 ·
id also like to know the answer to this, is it possible to keep a puffer or cow fish and a reef tank, I know it depends on what kind of coral and since my tank has only been cycling for two days (150 gallon acryllic w/ 11 chromis and live rock) so there is no coral, so the type of coral to put in...well thats still up in the air, I'm up for suggestions as well,

...I think cowfish might eat your corral but small tobies which resemble cow fish and have just as much personallity as there larger cousins might be well suited to a reef aquarium, you think????

#3 ·
These tobies sound interesting. Anywhere online to get a pic?

#8 ·
FWIW, I asked this same question as I wanted to get one. Talked with a good friend of mine who works for a LFS (so he would have made some money if I got it). Anyhow, he said no, they aren't great for a reef tank. The toxin is a possibility, but they also like to munch on some corals according to him. I was bummed as they are "cute" but it's not worth it.

HTH,
Chris

#9 ·
why did it come out as a download, I didnt mean to do that
It's best to upload images in .jpg format... there's others that the BBS will accept, but .jpg seems to have the best image quality vs. file size.
Bitmap images (.bmp) aren't displayed by most web browsers (if any) which is why it downloaded it instead.

#10 ·
I kept a valentini puffer in my reef tank for a long time! It has a great personality and did a little picking here and there on some corals but no damage and did eat a couple of snails that I witnessed.
Unfortunately I wanted to keep clams so he was returned to the LFS! I really miss the puffer!:(

Here is a link to the one I had:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=250

#15 ·
Why use live fish for cycling?? The LR and sand will provide enough die off to cycle the tank... If you really want a good cycle, use a cocktail shrimp...

Using live fish for cycling is cruel and unusual punichment as the ammonia burns their gills...

#24 ·
OK thread is back, and yes I edited the hell out of it. I am not assigning blame or fault but it got way off track from the original question. I happen to think it's a good question and I would like to see more input, esp info on the toxicity of cowfish. Please confine it to the topic, I will give you a place to play ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.