The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I have a cover on my tank or no cover? Or lid or whatever you call it. The piece of clear plastic or glass on top of tank?

·
Slow and Steady
573 Posts
It depends really.. what kind of fish are you keeping? Certain ones like gobies like to jump. Then again I've heard of clownfish being startled and go rug surfing so. Also heard of nerite snails going for walks as well. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have no? You could also go with egg crate from a hardware store, they come in silver/black/white etc and they are cheaper and do the same thing.

·
Harbinger of Salt
874 Posts
I am personally not a fan of covering my tank for a couple reasons. I like my water surface to have exposure to air for gas & heat exchange, and glass tops are reflective making your lights less efficient for the growth of corals. However if you have fish that are known to be jumpers or especiall eels, youll want to have some kind of cover to keep them int he tank. Eels are great escape artists.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
No cover for a reef...some fish are jumpers though...cover off helps gas exchange, removesheat quicker, but increases evaporation...I never use a cover or lid.

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you can, build a canopy. It allows for the neccesary gas exchange, keeps jumpers in, yet doesnt contain your lights heat or decrease thier effectiveness. Plus, they can look nice.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I don't have a lid/cover on my reef either. I used to have my glass canopy on it initially for about the first 3 years with PC lighting. But I switched to t5 ho's recently and havne't used the canopy since. So far i like it, although I do worry about coming home to finding a fish on the floor...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts