The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Electrical G "EE" k
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question about a small Goby of mine.
He is listed as an omnivore. He spends most all day swimming around nibbling at the LR and sand and eating stuff. However, I cannot get him to eat any meaty foods it seems. I feed Mysis to my firefish and shrimp and they love it, but the court jester goby doesn't seem very interested. I have also tried dried seaweed to no avail as well. I have had the Court Jester goby for about three weeks, so he is eating, but I feel he might not be getting enough. Any suggestions?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I can't answer your question directly, but I strongly suggest you doing a search of our forums... type in "rainford goby" as your search, that is what we seem to know them by here. Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had one. great fish. Never ate any of the fish food I put in the tank at first - after a couple months it discovered the nori. Never ate any other added foods. Picked at the rock and sand all day. I've read that they do better in a larger, well established tank for that reason.

I've also known others who had one that would eat frozen foods but never nori - guess each one has his own comfort level with trying new foods. :)

Attachments

·
Electrical G "EE" k
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jayo. I am going to try the Nori. I may just try a bunch of similar products if he doesn't eat that.
Thanks Again.
Jeff

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Mine used to eat baby brine shrimp, but he was more in to picking at the rocks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i always thought that court jesters were cool looking fish
and now that i kno that they dont eat much food i might get one, but would it be ok in a 10g, i thought they would but you guys said that they did better in a larger tank so kinda concerned

·
Administrator
46,889 Posts
I have seen them do well in 10 g tanks that were old and had some hair algae in it

·
Registered
274 Posts
ight thanx i might get that instead of the small six-line that i saw, but what would be better for my tank?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I had mine on a 20gal, it should do fine on a 10gal. They do not get very big.

·
Electrical G "EE" k
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for you help everyone. I still cannot get it to eat anything, but I put Nori in there a couple times hoping he may try it. I am also goign to get some of the Formula Two frozen food and try that.

One more question...If I get a Yellow Tang, do you think the Tang will compete with the Court Jester for food on the LR and cause any potential problems?? I have about 40lbs of mature LR with lots of "stuff" and 20lbs that is mature, but hasn't been under any light so it doesn't have much stuff growing on it???

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
My rainsfords golby also won't eat anything that I directally feed the tank, but I see him eating pods off the rock all day, so I am not worried.

I don't thing the Yellow Tang will pose a problem to the Rainsfords food source, it likes algae, where the rainsord seems to like food that moves.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yeah i have had mine for several months, never seen him eat anything but pods, cyano off of the sand when its there and hair alge, but he doesn't looks skinny or boney so i guess he is eating good..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts