The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave a friend of mine a bunch of my used stuff so he could set up a fresh water tank but his fish keep dieing . he just has those black mollys.

only two things i could come up with were he doesn't have enough oxygen , all he has is the biowheel , maybe he needs a bubbling pirates chest ?

the LFS also told him he could use tap water and doesn't have to treat it with anything, i thought that must be it because its chlorinated ... should he use RO ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sea monkey said:
I gave a friend of mine a bunch of my used stuff so he could set up a fresh water tank but his fish keep dieing . he just has those black mollys.

only two things i could come up with were he doesn't have enough oxygen , all he has is the biowheel , maybe he needs a bubbling pirates chest ?

the LFS also told him he could use tap water and doesn't have to treat it with anything, i thought that must be it because its chlorinated ... should he use RO ?
He should be treating the water if he's using tap... there's no real reason to use because RO mollies can take pH of ~7.5-8.2 and it can be pretty hard water.

The filtration that he is running is fine, no need for a "bubbler" any surface agitation will be sufficient aeration. Did he cycle the tank at all? Tell him to buy a 10 cent feeder guppy or goldfish to get some bacteria going in the system, and waste for it to feed on... then test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate...if alls clear then he's good to go to remove the guppy and add a few fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts