The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month and a half ago, I bought a filter sock to lower the micro buble count in the display. I clean it about twice a week, and it smells so bad, I gag if I get too close. It is dark brown after a couple days. Is this why the cyano is growing so much?

I am taking it off for a while to see if anything substantial happens. I'll just have to live with the extra micro bubbles. I'll put it on for water changes, so that whatever I blow off the rocks is captured and removed immediately. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

·
11,345 Posts
If you are indeed cleaning it twice a week, that is not the cause of cyano or nuisance algae. Id look into your sandbed or your feeding habits for the culprit........

i used to use them, not for microbubbles but just to catch stuff and i quit using them quite a few months ago...just something else to clean. As far as the microbubbles, baffles and or a bubble chamber for your skimmer or dkimmer drain can take care of those.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feed very sparsely and have about a 3/4" sandbed. the cyano mostly builds on the sand probably because if I direct flow to the bottom, sand blows everywhere.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sand is 4 months old. Is this not long enough? It is growing on the rocks as well, just not nearly as much.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
how much water flow do you have there? on a 29gal you should have like 2 poweheads rated at 250gph so you can get a good flow. Are you using tap water? you should use RO water. How long between water changes? when you do one suck as much cyano as possible. Any HOB filters? is so remove them. Do you get a lot of stuff on the filter sock? is it mostrly uneaten food? if so you need to feed less amount of food.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
How long did you cycle the tank before adding your inhabitants? Was the initial setup on 3/28/06 like your signature says? You could still be cycling? Sounds like a diatom bloom. I agree that adjusting the flow would probably help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tank has only had inhabitants for the past few weeks. I do have two powerheads. One has 220GPH and the other is a 170GPH. But even with this flow, I had trouble finding a place for the bubble and feather duster. And there is also the return pump. And again, I only feed twice a week and a very small amout at that. I will use the process of elimination. One thing at a time for a period of time, until I get results.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
sounds like your skimmer is not up to the task. :( it could be that the skimmer is just not able to get to the stinky stuff before the sock does. in this case the sock is acting like your skimmer. the problem is that it is not exporting the nutrients untill you clean it. while a skimmer will remove it immediately. i would not use the sock for a while and hopefully the skimmer will be up to the task and get that stuff out.

G~

1 - 11 of 11 Posts