The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like kindergarten drawing, a base knowledge that I can build on:D I am completely unable to grasp the concept, and words like "baffles" etc are going to give me nightmares! I am also going to start reading some books!

·
Professional Algae Grower
862 Posts
I always feel inadquate too. This is a cool hobby because there is alwyas a lot to learn. Just when you think you understand something you realize that you are not as smart as you think and almost feel like a newbie all over again. Of course I am a newbie (just had my tank a little over a year.) read some books and stay here on TRT. Theese guys are SMART and will teach you everything you need to know.

There are usually two tanks in a saltwater system There is the show tank and then the sump. Water from the show tank drains into the sump via overflows and then is pumped back into the show tank. The water in the sump is where all your mantainance is done. To be very basic, some of the water in the sump is pumped into a skimmer (that is a fancy thing that blow a lot of tiney bubbles and takes out some of the funk) and then that water is drained back into the sump. The sump is also where you do water top off, water changes, heated/cooled, dosed (adding supplements)... This is a great hobby because you can have a simple system or a ccomplicated system... I guess it all depends on your budget and quest. If dobejazz lives close take him up on borrowing the books they can be expensive and you can add that money to your tank.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,516 Posts
Sometimes I think we make it to hard, I would start out very basic and learn from that point, Like learning to walk, set up a simple system and learn how it all works and later down the road you will have a better understanding of what to expect and will be able to decide how and what you want to add,

Most all of us have done many setups and have changed things over and over, As far as what is the right way to do it or wrong way, Who really knows, Almost every type system have worked for me in the past. some better then others, The hardest thing I think you are facing is all the info you are reading and then can't make up your mind, The system you talked about at first will work just fine and for many years.

Also what works best for me may not work best for you.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
what size tank are you looking to put that sump on? it comes with a 6" diameter skimmer. that means it has some volume to it. it also suggests only 800gph of flow through it. i would put its actual rating around 100g tank.

G~

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
actually there seems to be a lot of bear fans down here. Ive barely seen anyone driving around with colt flags on their cars. The thing that sucks though is that tailgating isnt allowed at the stadium. Kinda bummed me out

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.