The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Crawfish
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on how much everybody pays on electricity cost each month to run their tank. I am going out to buy one of those kill a watt things to see what my tank cost. Does anybody know?

· Retired Wanderer
22,597 Posts
This is going to get responses all over the map. There are low draw things like powerheads, medium items like your heater and various other small pump driven items, PC and T5 lighting and then the large pumps and MH lighting. I would be surprised if our 28g with just a HOB skimmer, a Tunze and PC lights costs 10 dollars a month to run.

You might be able to do your own test by observing your electric meter for an hour without the loads, then turning everything on and doing a little math. The other thing that is a rough check is to look at the total wattage of all of your equipment (UL requires this to be labeled on there) and then doing math based on that.

I could see cheap electricity on a small tank here costing 10-20 dollars on up to someone with a 250, all the peripherals and a few MH bulbs costing a couple of hundred bucks.

Why on earth would you be worried about cutting the load on your tank though? Go unplug ummm....well there has to be something. (I can't talk, we have three TV's and a kegerator kept well chilled). :beer:

· Crawfish
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well just trying to figure out why the h... our electricity bill is almost $300 for a 1500 sq ft condo with just the two of us. I think there is something wrong with the meter. It went from 120 or so to 300. And I cant believe it its the tank but the wife wants me to make sure. If you know what I mean. No matter how much it cost I will tell her half that anyway. :rotflmao:

· Premium Member
8,195 Posts
It costs me right around $26 a month (30 days) to run my 75. My biggest power suckers are the 2x175w MH's and my panworld 150ps @ 135W.

The most expensive piece to run is the pump is for my skimmer that runs 24/7, costing $9.72 monthly. My power runs 10 cents/kW.

I have my current calc sheet here.

· Premium Member
7,822 Posts
It costs me right around $26 a month (30 days) to run my 75. My biggest power suckers are the 2x175w MH's and my panworld 150ps @ 135W.

The most expensive piece to run is the pump is for my skimmer that runs 24/7, costing $9.72 monthly. My power runs 10 cents/kW.

I have my current calc sheet here.
Is that 10 cents a kilowatt BEFORE or AFTER all the distribution fees? I pay 8 cents but after all the fees it's 17 cents.

· Crawfish
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all. I have a 40 with ps1 pump, 150 mh, 2-39 watt t-5 a 1/15th chiller, and a few pumps. I am guessing around 20 dollars. Ours is .12 khw. and over 390 khw it goes to .34 cents. Thats our governator for you. I will be hooking up the kill a watt tomorrow and will see exactly what it will be.

· Registered
116 Posts
I have a 24g Aqua Pod with the standard PC lights it comes with,1 heater, 3 power heads and I couldnt tell my bill even changed.

· Retired Wanderer
22,597 Posts
Well just trying to figure out why the h... our electricity bill is almost $300 for a 1500 sq ft condo with just the two of us. I think there is something wrong with the meter. It went from 120 or so to 300. And I cant believe it its the tank but the wife wants me to make sure. If you know what I mean. No matter how much it cost I will tell her half that anyway. :rotflmao:
Nope I paid 250 for a two bedroom apartment in the OC. Reason I got the heck out of the state I was born in. Add DMV fees, the jacked up cost my son pays to go to College there and other issues and I just could not afford to survive.

Our two bedroom townhome in Colorado with the tank, two fridges, stuff left on all the time and a garage full of stuff running is 187 bucks for all utilities combined.

If you have concerns about the meter I would call the power company or find someone that knows an electrician or works in a big manufacturing facility that has a clamp on ammeter.

You can also order a usage history if you call SCE or SDG and E whichever you have and they will give you that.

We had a lazy meter reader once that fudged his whole route and we got a credit finally when they got it sorted out.

· spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
electricity costs are probably whats killing you. Measure stuff on the device and report back to us... it's a pretty straight forward calculation once you know how long you run everything and how many watts each device pulls. To get an accurate depiction of your
$/kwh, to what Butch did and divide your bill by your usage.

· Registered
200 Posts
Got my bill yesterday $471 (down from $515 last month)

3 BR, 2 BA house, with pool. About 2500 sq ft under air (garage has AC too)

Tanks -
300gallon reef lit with solartubes and PC supplements
165 gallon softie reef lit with VHO
125 gallon FW plant tank (PC's)
100 gallon frag tank lit with 3x250w MH
50 gallon LED tank
150 gallon sump/refugium (all SW plumbed into one sump)

Tell your wife it could be worse, you could be like this nut you know of in Florida!!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.