The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been about a week since I put my yellow corris wrasse into the DT. He immediately buried in the sand but I have not seen him since. Checked overflow, floor, and sump. I was cautioned they can go under the sand for a few days if threatened but is a week normal? I did notice a few snail shells upside down near where he first buried himself with no foot visible anymore, could he be coming out at night and munching on snails? I don't mind if so, there are so many snails breeding in the tank I'm just worried about him.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,329 Posts
It could be he still shy and hiding. I have two firefish when introduced to tank hide for over a week under some rock. They eventually came out to eat and spend a good 75 % of the time hidden and only come out for a few hours a day.
hopefully that’s what your wrasse is doing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I woke up yesterday morning and after two weeks the Corris wrasse was out and just as soon as I saw him I saw both clowns and my ORA orchid dottyback going after him pretty good, lights were still out. I put Rods food in and he ate a few pieces, didn't look all that emaciated though and then I spent about an hour smacking the glass every time they went after him (I've managed to get over aggro cichlids to accept a new fish doing this) then had my wife do the same while I prepped for a water change which always spooks all the fish. Then I moved the clowns hammer coral to a new spot and moved a few smaller rocks and added PVC tubes and a mirror (the dottyback really hated his rival!), then after that I didn't see him the rest of the day, he went back in the sand. This morning he was back out and when the lights were out the fish seemed mellower towards him, lights are on now and before I fed them they didn't seem to be going after him that bad, but then I threw rods food in there and the wrasse didn't seem to eat anything, maybe a tiny nibble but now that they've eaten its both clowns and the dottyback going after him even though he is spending most of his time at the surface. I don't really think there is a lot I can do at this point, it will be almost impossible to catch him being a wrasse without destroying my rockwork and I'm not prepared to do that as the corals are really starting to settle in and show growth. Any other ideas, I would think if it gets too bad he will just go back in the sand. To be honest I don't think he has actually been bitten, they just charge at him and he dodges or they turn away at the last second, it almost seems like he's saying 'I'm here to stay, I can't live in the sand for the rest of my life, so if I die at least I'll die swimming free'

The cool thing is the McClosker flasher seems to be trying to protect him as sometimes he gets between the clown posse and the Corris and flashes like crazy and even though the female clown is top fish, I don't think she fancies her chances against the bigger faster flasher wrasse and I know for sure the dotty back is scared of the flashers speed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts