The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is freshly cycled and I added some new frags (zoas, mushrooms) and now my hammer, as well as the new frags, started closing up randomly during the day. I added the hammer during the cycle ( I shouldn't have done that) but it did fine I guess. It looks like it got injured or something. There are white spots on its tentacles. My zoas and the mushroom also close up but my glove polyp does not!

Water parameters:

SG: 1.024
dkH 13.1
pH 7.8
Ca 460
Mg 1300
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5ppm
Phosphates 0.50

My temperature has been fluctuating lately since it's been getting really hot here in Moren Valley. It jumped from 75 to 79 within a week. I'm not sure if that could be the reason. Flow is moderate to high but the zoas, mushroom and hammer are in low - medium flow. Only the glove polyp and GSP get higher flow.

Ph and Alk seem to be off. It is def. not the salt mix though. I did a water change yesterday and tested the mixed water.

pH 8.4
dkh 11.9 - 12.1
Mg 1350
Ca 420
phosphates 0

For filtration, I use a poly-filter in a canister filter. Any ideas what could be wrong?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put a huge fan over my tank and the pH went up to 8.2/8.4 and the temperature down to 75 again. The lights are off now so I can't see if that would change anything. I hope it's just the temperature. I also ordered Revive and I'll dip all corals before my next water change.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Corals like stablity and new tanks just don't offer that. You can be doing everything right and corals will get POed in a new tank. I usually don't recommend people add coral until 4-6 months in just because of that (you wouldn't believe the number of people we've seen come through that have spent tons of money on coral for new tanks just lose them all in the first few months). New tanks go through lots of different cycles and phases that we don't and can't test for - it's why delicate things like anemones have such a dismal survival rate in tanks under a year. It sounds like you're watching things closely and trying to keep things as stable as you can with what you can control, that's the best you can do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On Liveaquaria they recommend getting corals first then fish. Many people start off with corals and never even get fish. I didn't really think that this would be a problem with simple corals. I'd never get SPS or more intricate LPS corals until my tank has matured. The hammer and GSP opened up this morning. The zoas lost their fluorescence and the mushroom can't decide whether it wants to point its head towards the light or away from the light. The only coral that is doing super well is the glove polyp. It's growing a lot of new polyps and it's fully open and happily swaying in the flow. My water parameters seem ok except for the fluctuating temperature. Can zoas become dull looking if the temperature isn't right? Everything else seems to be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts