The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here is probably another Newb question, and maybe I will get nailed by some guy who's name starts with a 'P' for asking. But here goes...

What's the story with Coralline algae. I've got a bit of purple on my rocks, some new that has grown and some that came on rocks I bought. I have NO purple or pink on my acrylic but tons of green coralline growing. Is it really just a toss up what grows where. I would prefer purple over green because it soooo pretty :arg: . I've also noticed some spots on the rock that were once growing purple and seem to be fading. Just wanted to pick some brains on the stuff. Get more edjumucated.

·
Registered
111 Posts
from what i understand, the corraline algae will grow whereever it deems convienient. Pretty much its just a gamble that you get the purple or the green to thrive in a certain spot in your tank. If you get any growing on the glass, you could try to razor blade it off(very carefully so as not to scratch your glass) and planting it in a certain spot. The chances it will take root and grow there are not tremendous, but its worth a shot.

good luck
jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
whats what?

coraline algae mainly needs sunlight to grow and the right amount of trace elements mainly calcium, magnesium and iodine. i use carib sea aragamilk and salifert natural iodine. i also use kent coral builder ph buffer to maintain a proper ph level. that is all i use besides dt's live phytoplankton. phytoplankton is the number 1 food source of the food chain in the ocean. coraline that i know is usually purple, pink, orange, or red. if the green coraline you say is growing looks calcium like hard not hairy or stringy then it is probably one of the colors of coraline i mentioned above beginiing to grow or it is probably coraline dying off and beginning to bleach out. i noticed you said some of the coraline looks like it is fading. i gave you my remebdy here is a pic of my 20 gal reef tank. before i moved it to my new apt.

Attachments

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coraline said:
coraline algae mainly needs sunlight to grow and the right amount of trace elements mainly calcium, magnesium and iodine. i use carib sea aragamilk and salifert natural iodine. i also use kent coral builder ph buffer to maintain a proper ph level. that is all i use besides dt's live phytoplankton. phytoplankton is the number 1 food source of the food chain in the ocean. coraline that i know is usually purple, pink, orange, or red. if the green coraline you say is growing looks calcium like hard not hairy or stringy then it is probably one of the colors of coraline i mentioned above beginiing to grow or it is probably coraline dying off and beginning to bleach out. i noticed you said some of the coraline looks like it is fading. i gave you my remebdy here is a pic of my 20 gal reef tank. before i moved it to my new apt.
You from Clovis Ca? I just moved from Los Banos. Is/was your tank full of hair algae or something? It's not dying, it started green and seems to be staying green

·
Registered
56 Posts
no hair alge!

:jester: i used to have so much hair algae when i first started. i didn't know what i was doing. now ive had 3 years of reef experience and no more bad algae just coraline algae. here is my tank now. i just moved to a new apartment in clovis about 2 weeks ago. :banana:

im from salinas Ca, but moved to clovis about 4 years ago to attend fresno state.

Attachments

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
there are many different species of coralline algae. each has its own niche it likes to live in. any changes in lighting or flow can kill off an entire species in an area. i prolly go through 2 or 3 entire tank growths a year. whenever i change a bulb or redirect the flow in the tank i will loose all of my coralline. not a big deal to me, means less cleaning on the glass. the best way to grow coralline is to get shavings from somebody who has a colour you like. these shavings will release spores that will hopefully find a place to sit down and take over.

Diadema urchins are very good critters to have in the tank if you are wanting more coralline growth. their teeth scrape off all biofilm off of the rock leaving barren rock for which coralline spores can attach and grow. caution-do not use urchins in an acrylic tank. their teeth are so hard they will scratch an acrylic tank very easily.

as for growing coralline. just keeping your Ca and alk at appropriate levels will be fine. i do not recommend dosing iodine or mg without a test kit for either. to much mg will cause a serious problem with low Ca. iodine misdosed is toxic to all living critters.

G~

·
Registered
56 Posts
coraline

i think the green coraline is coroaline in its first stages and it will later turn to pink, purple, or red. i notice some developing in my tank since i just moved. but all i put is salifert natural iodine, and carib sea aragamilk for calcium and trace elements, i also use kent coral builder to maintain the alkaline of my ph levels. i also have an arcrylic tank to. i also use tropic marin pro reef sea salt mix. here are a couple of my sps coral.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
coraline

the first one is just a fresh cut frag i got but i wanted you to see the massive coraline growth. it grows crazy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts