The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
carlos_fb said:
Is there a better skimmer in that price range that I can get instead of the Coralife 125?
You can get better but that means more $$$$

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to get it to start and will replace it for a better one later on. I mean it should work fine since my tanks is only 60 gallon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been thinking about it and I think I'm going to spend a little more money in a skimmer since I've read over and over how important they are. I'm considering the Turboflotor Skimmer 1000 or the 1000 Multi.

What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
if you do not go with a Coralife than look at the ASM's. they are a better skimmer than the floater you are thinking about.

the coralife is a better skimmer, due to technology differences. the turbofloater is a very old skimmer design. good, but not as good as the newer designs out now.

G~

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
ASM's much better skimmer,really consider it over what you are thinking about getting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Geoff said:
if you do not go with a Coralife than look at the ASM's. they are a better skimmer than the floater you are thinking about.

the coralife is a better skimmer, due to technology differences. the turbofloater is a very old skimmer design. good, but not as good as the newer designs out now.

G~
I checked out the ASM link and they look so simple! I would have never thought they were better. Even the Coralife look much more complex but you guys are the experts.

Where can I get an ASM for a good price? My tank is a 60 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thinking on getting a Octopus NW-150 Needle-Wheel Protein Skimmer instead of the Coralife. I've heard they are very good and compare to ASM's in quality and price.

What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
have not heard of the Octopus. sorry, not much help here for that.

as for why the 65 and the 220 would be better than the 125. i am betting it has to do with the pump used. if i were to guess, the 65 and the 125 use the same pump. the pump is a much better match for the 65's size. the 220 prolly uses a larger pump also.

just guessing here, since the only catalog i have on hand does not list specs for each.

G~

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
All the super skimmers are on sale at doctors foster and smith - pretty darn good prices too I must add.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts