The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a scientist, but I would say a pretty discriminating hobbyist. I have been hearing and seeing test results from the current version of Coralife salt come in and when I ran out of salt last weekend and needed some for my setup I said what the hey ran to my favorite petsmart in Anderson (the closest place to get anything for salt to clemson) and tried the $15 50g bag just to see what was up (I have bad talked this salt in the past:rolleyes: )

Of course before it went in my tank I tested it with everything I had to test it (besides nitrate and phosphate shoulda done these in retrospect)
mixed with rodi 0 tds water.

Objective tests

cheap!
sg- 1.025 refractometer calibrated with distilled water
Ca 500 (salifert)
kH 9.5 (lamotte)
mg- 1150 (elos)
k+- 300+ (kz- a bit of a subjective test imo, but this salt has had the highest level of any I've tested)

Being one of the better testing salts I have tested lately it went into the tank as a 10% wc.

some of the subjective qualities I noticed about the salt were:

very uniform (almost a powder)
easy to dissolve (reminds me of oceanic)
heavy duty resealable bag
no post residue in mixing container
corals look good

I will give a bucket of this salt a try as long as the increased Ca does not cause any problems over the long run (I use a good bit of Ca in my tank- lots of stoneys)

Cheers,

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
If you are using Ca up in the tank, then the higher Ca levels in the salt should be a benefit, not a negative since it will mean less Ca adding to the setup. Will be informative to see how well the test ends up after the entire bag is used.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes with Ca use this increased level could be useful. Just good to know if you are running a Carxr or two part.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Good to have the results back. I told you that Chuck said that this was the best salt he's used :)

·
World Famous Coral!!! ~AO
334 Posts
Good to have the results back. I told you that Chuck said that this was the best salt he's used :)
Yep, I LOVE it (so far)...

When we tested we got;

Ca 460 (Tropic Marin) (new)
DKH 11 (Salifert) (fairly new)
Mg 1500 (Salifert) (a year old)

1.024 w/refrac. @ 78 degrees (may need calibrating though)
Kold-Steril w/dual di canisters (0 tds on 2 inline meters)
Tested each 3 times and took the average...

Cool thing about the buckets is that it comes with 3 resealable bags (50gal each), and a free t-shirt, lol. But really, it's the best packaged salt I've ever used, personally.

$15/50gal is really good! Is that their regular price?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to check for sure as I was buying other cat stuff too, and wasn't paying that close attention

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will probably test mine again next week for po4 and no3, also cross check the dkh and ca with the api tests at the store.

·
334 Posts
Btw, we got 0 nitrate with a dipstick mardel test (although these don't measure lower levels of nitrate) and 0 phosphate with a Salifert. The api alk test should test the same, or really close, as the Salifert for alk. The api cal test seems to always test about 60ppm higher than our Tropic Marin test (Tropic Marin is almost identical to Salifert but uses glass vials instead of plastic).
It's good to see others venturing out and trying this salt. I personally never tried this salt until several months ago because I always thought the packaging was cheesy, lol. I know that's pretty shallow, but marketing really affects you more than you think, lol.... Or it does with me anyway, lol...

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
FWIW... i'll be going this route as well soon :) well whenever I run out of IO, RC and Oceanic :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i agree w/ chuck on the marketing ploy. i have used it years ago and all was well. of course ive gotten way more advanced and skilled in reefkeeping. i used oceanic and ALWAYS fought w/ calcium and alkalinity w/ 2 parts (ESV) remember those days chuck???lol

but ive been using reefers best from zeovit and although i do like it, it tends to keep lower dkh as well. i run about 8 right now (shoosh Monica!) and it just stays around there. someday if my alk ever tested in the double digits id faint, literally.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Personally I keep my Alk around 8... with all the new growth I had to bump up the output from the reactor today, as it drifted down to 7 :)

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
LOL.. you need to get that reactor from Scott... it's not nearly as difficult or technologically advanced as you think :)

·
334 Posts
i agree w/ chuck on the marketing ploy. i have used it years ago and all was well. of course ive gotten way more advanced and skilled in reefkeeping. i used oceanic and ALWAYS fought w/ calcium and alkalinity w/ 2 parts (ESV) remember those days chuck???lol

but ive been using reefers best from zeovit and although i do like it, it tends to keep lower dkh as well. i run about 8 right now (shoosh Monica!) and it just stays around there. someday if my alk ever tested in the double digits id faint, literally.
I remember a lot of people using Oceanic when it seemed to be the latest and greatest and I think most people, probably you included, wound up just using 1 part only, lol. And I agree with Tony, you need a reactor if you're gonna have a sps dominated 125g! That is if you like having more $, a WHOLE lot more growth, and a WHOLE lot less headaches, lol!

Thanks for the information on the salt. I will admit that I also saw it at PetSmart but did not buy it because of the cheesy packaging and free shirt included deal.
SEE! They really need to change their packaging! Maybe something that looks a little more scientific-based instead of cartooney, lol! I love to pay attention to how I react to marketing btw.... It's amazing, and funny sometimes, what you learn.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i probally should get w/ reality and do a reactor. tony i should have you come over help me partition my middle refugium chamber o my sump. heck i cant grow algae in there anyway w/ this zeo system. maybe we shorten the fuge to about 6" and make space for the reactor?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
maybe we shorten the fuge to about 6" and make space for the reactor?

get rid of it all together ... GASP!!!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
LOL.. No problem Frank... although, there is no need to shorten it, I had my reactor in 12" of water at one point. I am sure you have some room off to the side to install one not in the sump though :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts