The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I came home last night to find one of my MHs frosted over with a red color and not working. The bulb is a Coralife 175 10K. The frosting is on the inside of the glass covering. I am scared to put another bulb in the mogul incase my ballast caused this. Has anybody seen this before? Maybe I'll buy a really cheap regular 175MH to test it. Anybody have an old 175 they would part with. I would pay shipping and give many praises.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I have a couple of 12K 175s used for 13 months.... just changed them out for 14Ks today...

PM me if you like.

Jenn

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Coralife today and they said that if I would send it in they would mail me out a new one. I thought it was going to be alot more trouble but they were really nice. Seams that every once in awhile the vacuum tube gets damaged and the inside of the bulb turns red. Well Coralife gets an A+ for customer service

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jenn, I got the bulb Friday . Well I tried to use it and it seems my ballast is the problem. The bulb won't stay lit for more than a couple of minutes and then the ballast starts to make a funny noise and the bulb goes out. It contiues to do this cycle until I turn the ballast off. Thank you so much Jenn for sending the bulb. PM me and tell me how much I owe you for shipping. Anybody know anything about ballasts?
Thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ballasts tend to cycle from heat. If its just overheating then dropping the ambient temp could solve the problem. Dont know what type of ballast you have, electronic, open core and coil, mounting etc. Could be a million things.

Easy solution
Go to home depot buy a 175 w MH ballast, make sure it comes with the starter, get an 8x8x8 screw cover box and wire that puppy up. It's really not as hard as most people think.

Or order a 175W electronic MH ballst and we can go thru that.

Just take a look and see whats easier before ya do this. If its a headache then buy a pre wired, enclosed ballast from a lighting Co. But if your mech inclined then you can do the DYI route.

Money headaches time money hedaches time... Thats what it boils down to. If the DYI project is 100$ and an hour then thats the way to go. If its 100$ and 6 hours of heartache then go with a lighting Co :)

Need help I'll be happy to help you with the wiring.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
a couple of weeks ago one of my 400w ballasts went out. just would not fire the bulb fully. one side of the tank at 400w the other looked like 150w.:(

anywho i went scrounging the HD lighting isles to see what my options were. i was lucky they had a 400w mh light fixture on sale for $30! i would go and look around. any 175w mh something will contain the ballast you are looking for. you may have to take apart the fixture to get to the wires, but that is easy.

good luck,

G~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.