The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
hit up some xenia....no matter what some people say i think its an awesome coral...but it does grow fairly rapidly...try some frogspawn...depending on your wattage it should do ok...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theplatypus said:
The SPS will most likely lose color and show minimal growth. You could always pick up a Mh pendant or even t5's if you want SPS. Otherwise stick with the softies and LPS.
I could probably get away with a 24" pendant on my 30" long 29, right? Would 150 Watts suffice on my 29, which is a tall and deep tank? Thats what im running on pcs now.
Also- I have a sarcrophyton leather shroom from fiji which is a rare yellow version. Just want to be sure its ok under my lights cause i dont want it dying cause of my ignorance.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
zxcv123 said:
I could probably get away with a 24" pendant on my 30" long 29, right? Would 150 Watts suffice on my 29, which is a tall and deep tank? Thats what im running on pcs now.
Also- I have a sarcrophyton leather shroom from fiji which is a rare yellow version. Just want to be sure its ok under my lights cause i dont want it dying cause of my ignorance.
150 should be fine. Anything more and you'll probably start running into heat issues. People are getting great results with SPS running t5's as well. One major benefit of t5's is the lack of heat. Look into the tek light t5 fixtures.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I personally say that you go with some T5 lights. You can keep all the same coral that you can keep with MH lights, and you don't have to deal with all the heat from MH lights.

For the time being, you can keep some types of Montipora under your PC lights. My suggestion would be orange Monti cap, they don't turn brown.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
while the advice on SPS's so far is good. I'd recommend you learn to crawl before you learn to walk, so to speak.

Meaning, I'd start out with some of the more hearty species of corals like Xenia, Star polyps, and Zoo's for now. Then, as you get better and better (with practice) at maintaining your tank parameters and your husbandry habits improve...then maybe get some new lights, and try out some of the more tolerant SPS species.

Just my suggestion.

But with SPS's come quite a bit of new complications/challenges. Your Ca and Alk levels need to be in line, an auto top-off, or religious top off schedule become necessary. Better nutrient import vs exporting habits (that come with experience and equipment) are important.

Not saying you couldn't do it...just saying it might be frustrating to try them early on.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Mushrooms, pulsing xenia, yellow or green star polyps - it's what I'm starting on since I'm new to coral-keeping - - good luck!

HHC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts