The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
I've been saving my money and it's time for another coral shopping event! Why do I call it an event? Well because my best friend comes down from Albany and we spend the day going from store to store picking corals we like.
I have a 150 gallon tank with a 50 gallon sump. I have 2 175watt 15000k MH
Right now I have mostly soft corals with the exception of 1 frogspawn. I also have 1 clam and LOVE it! I'm not really into the small polyp corals I tend to like soft and large polyps.
I was hoping you could give me a list of some corals that would be easy to care for bright in color and interesting to watch? I would love to have a bright colored anemone but don't want to to hurt my corals.
I'm hoping to do some research and have a list with me when I go shopping sat.
The fish I have in my tank
Hippo 5inches
yellow tang 3 inches
bullet goby 3 inches
1 true clown 2 inches
1 coral beauty 3 inches
1 cleaner wrasse
1 fairy wrasse
Lots of hermit crabs
lots of snails
I love brain corals but prob won't get any because I'm afraid the bullet goby will keep covering it with sand.
Any names you would recommend would be greatly appreciated.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Patrick I really like my torch coral it's related to the frogspawn and looks like an anemone. My Toadstool is my favorite coral though

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kelli
I haven't had much luck with torch but I think it was my fault. I think I put it too high in the tank so I may give them another try. I have a toadstool and it has never opened like the toadstools Ive seen on here. One member sent me a link and it showed a toadstool just like mine it it said it was caused by a snail inside the coral. I tried to remove the snail but couldn't see the scare the link talked about. It wasn't opened when I bought it so if I see one open I may buy one. Like you I love toadstools.
Patrick

·
Registered
389 Posts
maybe a nice hammer, buuble i have and i love them as for an anenome that wont hurt your corals i saay your est bet is a short tenticle one so its less likely that the tentacle will touch maybe a sabae

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Josh and theplatypus
I wouldn't mind a bubble if the have one of the colored ones. The white bubbles don;t do much for me.
Are Blastomussas a hard coral? I hear allot of people talking about them but I know very little about them.

·
Registered
389 Posts
A lot of the white bubbles actually have a pinkish tint that makes them look really nice (mine has this tint) i would check it out

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will check and see if they have a colored one if they do I may just get one. I do like the way they look but my tank need color. Ive seen the green on line and do like those.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Galaxia is a very cool LPS but needs it's space as it sends out sweepers.

Let's not forget Lobo brains.

Different colors of frogspawn are cool, like a green tenticle with purple tip. Pic of my frag

The open brains that sit in the sand are very colorfull but I don't remember the name. This one:

Candy cane corals are also very cool:

Here is a bad pic of a blasto:

Ok, I'm done,
Whiskey

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the pix Whiskey,
I forgot I have a green Candy cane. Would love to have more if they have them in different color. I have a cpl of questions you might be able to answer for me?
The Galaxia aren't they difficult to care for?
The brains do they have to be on the btm of the tank?
If so I'm afraid my bullet goby would dump sand on them all day.
The Blasto can you tell me more about them? What conditions do they like? Are they a hard or soft coral?
Thanks.
Patrick

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Thanks for the pix Whiskey,
I forgot I have a green Candy cane. Would love to have more if they have them in different color. I have a cpl of questions you might be able to answer for me?
The Galaxia aren't they difficult to care for?
No, they are as easy as a frogspawn
The brains do they have to be on the btm of the tank?
That perticular one likes it best in lower light, and lower flow, I have had it in a BB tank, up on the rocks a little, and it was plenty happy, it just doesn't like direct light.
If so I'm afraid my bullet goby would dump sand on them all day.
The Blasto can you tell me more about them? What conditions do they like? Are they a hard or soft coral?
Treat a blasto like you would treat a candy cane IMHO. They are a LPS, and the closest coral I can think of to it in growth form and tissue amount is probably a glaxea, though it's closer related to a brain.
Thanks.
Patrick
No prob!

Whiskey

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love the blastos and my candy cane is doing really well. I have my cc right up top and it loves it. I'm now hoping they have one I will def get it. I prob wont get a brain I would drive myslef crazy with the bullet goby. I will also keep my eye out for a Galaxia.
Thanks Whiskey

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
blastos are definatly a cool addition, all the brains, open and closed. plate corals are cool, but your bullet might mess with them. here are some better shots of blastos to give you an idea. wellsi and merleti.

there are 4 different colonies on this rock

and here is the other. forgot which is which.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Andy I def want one now. I would love to get several colors o a rock like that.
Patrick

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks theplatypus they look like mushrooms a little to me

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
thanks theplatypus they look like mushrooms a little to me
maybe in pictures, but not in real life. much much different. very cool corals.

and thanks platy. i was hoping you would fix me.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool Andy Thank you so much! I think I'm going to call them fri and see if they have any. If they do I will ask them to hold them for me. What would be a good price for some on a rock. Most of the time this store prices everything right around the 50 dollar mark for corals on rocks.
Patrick

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
Be prepared to pay $$$ for some Blasto's and Acans. Another one of my favourites is the Dendrophylia($$$). Sun corals are cool as well. Either the Black or the more common Orange/yellow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts