The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the future i am trying to understand the low, moderate, and high light ..........i have a 45 gallon tank with 196w PC thats about 4.4 watts per gallon............i know i cant do hard corals...........but polyps, mushrooms, and soft(leather) are they all ok???? any others i dont know about?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now from what i understand the placement also makes a difference.........in other words if i buy yellow polyps that like low like and i put then to high that could kill them right?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
pcs probably wont kill yellow polyps unless you have them dead on underneath the lights, you can keep lots and lots of stuff iwth you lights, i have the same set up you do, i keep many LPS, could even keep some of the easier SPS if you do it just right, but for beginner stuff, try some hammer coral, frogspawn, candy canes many others, keep them no lower than middle of the tank, you should be just fine.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Great info so far. :)

Just remember that the "watts per gallon" measurement is not accurate. It all has to do with the height of the tank. The deeper the tank, the more light you need (based on biotope).

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well its a 45 gallon high tank so the entire tank top to bottom is 26" i have 2-3 " of reef sand and of coarse the lights are not right on top of the water so lets say 26"

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so let me picture this leathers and other softies on the mid to bottom.............and what mushrooms and polyps mid to top

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so if i hve no desire to get hard corals ........but i do want a bubble tip anemone in 7-12 months..........is there any reason for me to get on the metal halid bandwagon

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
If you want to keep "SPS" corals, yes, MH would be a good route to go. Since you want to stay with softies ATM the PC's will do great.

The BTA will need high lighting, (in your case another 2 96 watt PC's) MH being their preferred light intensity. Waiting is a good thing for anemones, they need the stability of a tank over 1 year old to thrive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts