The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a shipment of coral on the way... I'm getting everything ready to handle it when it gets here, but I have a small Dilema...

I have a rock structure, it's in 2 parts, half and half really... I cant very well pull either part of it out of the tank, so I need a way of sticking new coral to the rockwork underwater... I have small LR rubble pieces in the tank which I can stick coral to, but how would I stick the rubble to my rockwork underwater?

I know of the superglue gel, but have only heard of it being used out of the water...

I know some use putty or epoxy... Is there a brand reccomendation on that? Is it usable underwater? and can I get it locally? lol

Hope to figure this out as the coral ships tomorrow and will be here wednesday!

Thanks
-Scott

·
Registered
506 Posts
I usually just plop them into a hole or place them on a rock depending on what coral it is. What kind of corals did you buy?

Corey

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh gosh, quite a few lol, some acans, various other LPS, some shrooms, softy (the one that looks like daisys, lol, headache and cant remember the name of it)

A few others, no sps, mostly all lps, shrooms, and soft.

-Scott

·
Registered
59 Posts
if you add the super glue gel to the rubble you attached the coral to then put it into the tank and hold it against the rock work for a bit it will hold.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the water want wash the superglue gel off the rock rubble when im putting it to the rockwork underwater?

Just making sure it's reef safe when still wet and not completely set and dry...

Thanks a million!
-Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks wharyat! I'll be going to Home Depot tonight to pick up several bottles of some kinda super glue gel and go from there.

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated as always!

-Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well SG gel sounds like a definite winner... Any preferred brands? If not, I'll probably buy 2 brands and run some tests since I have a bunch of frags coming lol... If all SG gel is reef safe, I may as well figure out which one holds best for a reef's purposes when applied.

-Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so here's a list of what I have on the way... It's a loose list, and not all inclusive, but it's the best I can do with the descriptions...

3 Different Acans, multi color
At Least 2 chalice, multi color
4 Mushroom
1 Favia
1 Pipe Organ
And the remaining 4 I can't remember and their descriptions are kinda lame. So I'll have pics tomorrow lol.

-Scott

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got the shipment notification!! Says will be here before 10:30 am tomorrow morning... :dance::beer::partytime::icon_rock::nixon::ac15::fireworks::trophy-gold::partywhistle:

And wow! When shipping fedex express overnight, it gives the email address of the person handling my shipment... Didnt expect that!

-Scott

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I use 2 part epoxy....simpler IME

mix up a glob, put it on the frag plug or rubble and put in the tank smoothing out the epoxy around the plug...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pictures of the new coral- Need some IDs...

Ok so here’s some pics of my new corals! Mixed in are some of the corals I already have had too… Along with a fts. I need some IDs on some corals, as the names of all of them weren’t listed online, I researched the needs of as many as possible, but I’d appreciate some help with the ones I don’t know. I’ll post all the pics in a numbered list with the IDs of the ones I know. Thanks!
1)Sorry for the crappy pics of this one, too high up to get a really decent shot. Not really sure what it is-

2) Zoo frag

3)Another zoo frag, sorry it’s a bit blurry

4)Decent looking little Acan frag- somewhat high up in the tank, we will see how it does with the lights, may have to move it lower

5)Pipe organ, a bit blurry due to the waving around in the flow-

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
6)Looks like maybe a shroom on a piece of dead coral? Sorry the colors are a bit washed out

7) Another acan

8) I think I like acans lol

9)No clue what this is… Looks neat though!

10)Definitely need an ID on this guy….

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
11)Yay for shrooms

12)Not too sure on this one

13)This frag was cool, 2 different color shrooms on one frag
[URL="http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/scottbrooks87/Aquarium%20Progress/FTSandcorals012.jpg%5b/IMG"]http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/scottbrooks87/Aquarium%20Progress/FTSandcorals012.jpg[/IMG[/URL]]
14)Love the colors on this- shroom yeah?
[IMG]http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/scottbrooks87/Aquarium%20Progress/FTSandcorals011.jpg
15)Green star polyp!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
16)Crappy crappy picture of my hammer, this guy is getting pretty big!

17)FTS!!!

<o>:p> </o>:p>
So what do you guys think?? Did I do ok? Anything I should change up? Thanks in advance for all your advice and knowledge!
<o>:p> </o>:p>
-Scott

1 - 20 of 26 Posts