The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
take a look at the attached pics of my capnella...

had this piece almost two years and I noticed yesterday she was not looking too happy and today still not looking good.. Water parmeters are good. The front stalk looks GREAT but the back one is a little frail looking. All of the "buds" (I guess that is what you would call them) are out and the color is not looking bad just really limp..

Take a look at the pics and gimme any advise you can..

THANKS GUYS!!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
hows your heat?

Last couple weeks my corals been taking hits. Ran my digital temp-o-meter in my tank, and it was getting above 86 degrees durring the day.

Possibly somethying munching it at night? redlighed your tank for unwanted munchers?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Please list your parameters. That will rule anything in or out. Also, do you do regular water changes? Do you run carbon?

Could be a buildup of toxins -- "chemical warfare" between duelling corals that no test kit can define, but water changes and the use of carbon will dilute the toxicity to tolerable levels.

Please post more info about your tank, and we'll try to help.

Jenn

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Jenn,

sorry for the delay... Yes, reg water changes (about 10% every 2 weeks) and running carbon.. Is almost time for a change though

Parameters:

PH=8.3
PO4= .1
Alk= Normal (low end of the normal scale using RedSea test kit)
Ammonia: .25 (water change coming soon)
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
CA= 450-500 (again, red sea test kit)

When I arrived home this afternoon she was looking worse and on the area that was bent over it had a whole in it and none of the polyps were out at all..

After a lengthy discussion with a good source, I decided to get a clean, new, razor blade and sliced it just below the damaged area and then sliced the area just above and placed that onto a small piece of rubble and it is actually open a little tonight. I know it will likely take a little while to fully extend, if it survives the shock..

But to my surpise, the other piece that was stil doing great has REALLY fluffed out and is absolutely beautiful....

Now, my question is this... Should I have went ahead and cut the remainder of the stalk down as close to the rock as possible or will it try and gorw again?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is the latest pic.. two hours post surgery... what is my next step? cut it all the way down or wait and let it grow back (if it will)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Ammonia???? At this stage of the game you should not have ANY ammonia (and where there's ammonia there's usually nitrite). I'd suggest that either there is something wrong with your test kit (most likely) or something dreadfully wrong with your tank (less likely). Since everything else appears happy and healthy I'd suggest you turf your test kit and get a new one.

Raise the alk - Seachem Reef Builder or Kent Tech CB parts A & B (for both calcium and alk supplementation) will work for this.

If your coral had a hole in it, I'd give it a FW dip looking for a nudibranch - there are some species of nudi that feed on species specific corals, and they look so much like their food that they go unnoticed. FW dip for about 3 minutes and see if anybody falls off.

You could also do a Tech D or Reef Dip bath to make sure to disinfect the coral, esp. post-op just to get any microbial nasties that might be present.

BTW - I concur with your source that suggested cutting off the bad. If the stump on the rock has the hole, I'd cut that off too, in case there is a nudibranch or a pathogen in there.....get rid of it.

Jenn

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
actually retested the ammonia after posting last night and it was at "0".... I did not do the test right the first time apparently...

will take the other suggestions and use them and move forward.

thanks so much for your help!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts