The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Gallon Reef Cube, 55 Gallon freshwater
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, sort of forgot this coral’s name and I’m still new to saltwater so I don’t remember every coral yet. Any help would be good, need the name to figure out where exactly to put it, thanks - also I imagine I shouldn’t take it off it’s base since it’ll grow over it itself?
Water Underwater Azure Fluid Purple

· Administrator
20,795 Posts
Welcome to TRT Nkhxn, and sorry for missing the welcome wagon earlier.
And you posted in the perfect spot for this question......and YES, you have a 'Mushroom coral'. But now what kind is the hard part. This category of 'corals' are seemingly always in flux, getting renamed/categorized/classified.....just a quick look to help ID this morning, I see some are even referred to as 'fake corals' now.

Just from the picture I'm gonna say it's a Rhodactis Mushroom....

Nothing at all wrong with leaving corals on their base they come on, other than for personal aesthetics, and they will eventually cover them. I personally never remove them.....lazy is probably my excuse. :p
Lower flow is always a safe bet with mushrooms, though enough to keep dirt off them to save you the work of having to blow them off(See my lazy excuse above). Lighting......anywhere from way down there to way up there seems to work. But starting low, then GRADUALLY moving up in PAR is a safe route. No need to blast them in light if you have options, but will adapt most of the time.

Hope the hobby treats you well, and ask away with any questions,
Hack

· Registered
15 Gallon Reef Cube, 55 Gallon freshwater
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to TRT Nkhxn, and sorry for missing the welcome wagon earlier.
And you posted in the perfect spot for this question......and YES, you have a 'Mushroom coral'. But now what kind is the hard part. This category of 'corals' are seemingly always in flux, getting renamed/categorized/classified.....just a quick look to help ID this morning, I see some are even referred to as 'fake corals' now.

Just from the picture I'm gonna say it's a Rhodactis Mushroom....

Nothing at all wrong with leaving corals on their base they come on, other than for personal aesthetics, and they will eventually cover them. I personally never remove them.....lazy is probably my excuse. :p
Lower flow is always a safe bet with mushrooms, though enough to keep dirt off them to save you the work of having to blow them off(See my lazy excuse above). Lighting......anywhere from way down there to way up there seems to work. But starting low, then GRADUALLY moving up in PAR is a safe route. No need to blast them in light if you have options, but will adapt most of the time.

Hope the hobby treats you well, and ask away with any questions,
Hack
thanks a ton for the help, another person said the same mushroom so that’s all sorted. I put the mushroom on the sandbed and kept it on it’s base, seems to be pretty good there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts