The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am goint to be purchasing 4 types of new corals, and I was wondering if I could get some pointers on taking care of the babies!! Here is a list of the corals... Cauliflower coral (pocillopora) .... Birdsnest coral ..... Green Acropora coral.....
and finally ... Blue acropora coral... If anyone has any info on these puppies would you please give me some does and dont's
Thanks a million people !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
do's
maintian your water parameters, like ph, dkh, calcium level, ect....
provide generoius amounts of current flow
provide plenty of light (halides required)

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
What's your tank setup like?

Them be a chunk 'o change...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 75 gallon , 2 inch live sand bed , two 175 watt , 10000K halides, 210 watts of actinic blue, and a refugium in the sump, I perform a water change bi weekly, is this set up ok?

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
New setup?

LR? Powerheads? Skimmer?

Just wondering - you've picked some difficult corals to start with, if so. If not, good luck.

Please don't take this the wrong way...
You might think about holding off for awhile if you're in doubt - it's very easy to get carried away early on, and make some very expensive mistakes. None of those 4 are going to be very forgiving if things go awry - which happens pretty easily when you're just getting your feet wet. (And by that, I mean until the tank is good and stable - which can take months to years.)

Danielle

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tank has been going for about a year, I have have around 75 lbs of live rock, and a seaclone skimmer, whats so difficult about these corals? thanks :)

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Ok - I'm glad to hear that the tank has been up awhile. (From the way you were phrasing your questions, I wasn't sure how new you were - and I hate to see new reefers pick up pretty things that their tanks can't support.)

Anyway, all of these are SPS, which demand high lighting and very high current. They are quite beautiful and will grow quickly in the right conditions... they are just also prone to dying with less insult that some of their softer cousins. (Knock a leather or even a brain off it's perch and it will forgive you. An SPS coral will probably not survive it.)

Anyway, just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into. Also, be sure to keep them away from any other corals - they will lose every battle.

You might consider Borneman's "Corals" book, as an excellent reference for what each of these requires.

Good luck,
Danielle

·
Registered
302 Posts
You want to upgrade that Skimmer for sure.... Or do what I did and Add a BAK PAK as well...

I ran with SeaClone alone and it simply does not do the job on a 75... I have a 75 myself...

You really need to get a second one

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you both for the info, it was VERY helpful, no , I have been in the saltwater hobbie for around 10 years, but I have never decided to take on sps corals, I keep my water perfect, so hopefully I wont have a problem, Well thanks so much , I am gratful :) Bryan

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
What corals are suggested for a person attempting to keep them for the first time,

I just got my CA reactor today, i'm pretty stoked dudes

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im already past the easy coral stage, I have 20 other corals, Im just now wanting to try SPS corals, and asking for advice, I have excellent water, so I know I will be sucessful, I have been in the hobby for 10 years, and I have just never tried SPS, thanks for the adivce.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I've heard that the way to go is 15000 lumens per gal. Or more, since light on the typical reef is 150000 lux/gal. But the light on the reef has to penetrate a lot farther than in aquariums. It's difficult to find the lux produced by a bulb, you have to go to the manufacturer.

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
bryjo said:
Im already past the easy coral stage,
Now that's what I was hoping to hear. Sorry if I sounded condescending - I'd just hate for a new reefer to rush out and pick up those lovelies (and here I was just hoping that the tank was cycled...)

The best bit of advice as a new-ish SPS keeper myself is to not be afraid to epoxy them in place. Use 2-part plumber's epoxy or any of the other sticks - and use lots of it. You can still get the corals off, as the epoxy is softer than rock. I tend to frag my SPS as soon as I get them because I know -inevitably- something is going to happen. Better to have a backup piece...in my case at least.

Attaching them is a very good idea. I lost a big piece of a gorgeous green slimer acro to gravity when (ahem) someone (stupid maroon) wasn't happy that it was where I put it. I'd even epoxied it down, but it still RTNed after spending a couple of hours upside down. Thankfully, I'd fragged off a piece for a friend and accidentally fragged off a tip (that is growing quite well now.)

High light, high flow, and best of luck!
(Are you ordering them from Dr. F&S? Geez... if I lived that close to PA, I know I'd be visiting them frequently!)

Danielle

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Why epoxy them?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts