The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coral beauty in a reef tank?

I think this fish is beautiful... but I know being a dwarf angel they may nip at corals. What are your experiences, good or bad, with a coral beauty in a reef tank???

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Tagging along on this one...I am looking to add 1 or 2 more fish and be done for a while. This one is high on my list, I just love the color. I hear they tend to do better with softies and LPS, or maybe it's just wishful thinking since I don't currently have any SPS. Anxious to hear others experience.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
My buddy has one and had to remove all his LPS corals. It leaves his SPS alone. I've had a few other species of dwarf angels, none which were compatible. The half-black picked on xenia, clams, and zoanthids, and my lemon-peel enjoyed snacking on zoanthids. I may try a pair of flameback pygmy angels, or something similar, but the regular dwarf angels are not an option for me in a reef anymore.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I have one and it doesn't nip at anything (at least I haven't seen it), I have had it about 8 months now.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Ive had both flame and coral beauty and neither have nipped at my corals. The cb did nip at a clam a had. I still have the flame and he is wonderful.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,264 Posts
A couple of years back we had one that behaved for a month or two. He nipped a little then nipped a lot and we had to buy him his own coral free tank. Great fish but he went south on us.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Mine was a model citizen for about four years....

Then 3 weeks ago he turned to the darkside and started nipping my SPS. I couldn't get him out, so I've been keeping him better fed which has helped alot. If he keeps it up he may meet the baited shopvac collection technique! Just kidding... But I'll have to figure out how to get him out.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Mine was a model citizen for about four years....

Then 3 weeks ago he turned to the darkside and started nipping my SPS. I couldn't get him out, so I've been keeping him better fed which has helped alot. If he keeps it up he may meet the baited shopvac collection technique! Just kidding... But I'll have to figure out how to get him out.
Model Citizen. Zero Discipline!"

·
Registered
235 Posts
the only thing that my CB has bothered to the point that i had to remove was a red open brain, she does not bother any or my other corals or zoos.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I had one that loved SPS. Took me aout 2 weeks to get him out and my corals weren't to happy about that :(

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Well, I think I have heard enough to make my decision. I don't think it's worth the risk. It sounds like they can turn on you at any time (lol). Sounds like I will have to continue to admire them from afar.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Well, I think I have heard enough to make my decision. I don't think it's worth the risk. It sounds like they can turn on you at any time (lol). Sounds like I will have to continue to admire them from afar.
better safe than sorry, I always say :D

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm, yeah, its not looking good for getting a Coral beauty... darn, I really think they are pretty...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts