The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you put a Copperband in your tank to control glass anenomes, will they also go after anenomes that yoy want? Like LTA or bubble?:confused:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I have a large BTA in my reef tank with a copperband and he does not go anywhere near the BTA!

It will unfortunately eat all your tiny feather duster worms in your tank but it's a small price to pay for such a beautiful fish!

Also some people have problems getting them to eat! I used mysis shrimp suggested by Brooke and it went right after it and later got it to eat home made mush as well.

If you acquire one from your LFS try to see it eating so at least you have a good start and know the fish is healthy!:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise Johnny. Alot of LFSs around here are starting to get Copperbands in. I guess word travels in the reef world. One store in particular has five! in stock. Maybe I just didn't notice but it didn't seem like anybody caried them a couple of years ago. I like that fish alot so i think get one as soon as my 80gal is ready to go.

That leads me to another question. Johny, I checked out your tank specs and you have an 80gal with 2 250w halides plus VHO. When I set up my 80gal hex I was planning on going with a single 400w 10000k halide pendant plus another 65ws of PC blues around the edges of the tank. I thought that was going to be plenty of light for a mixed tank 29" deep with SPS on top and LPS and softies in the middle and bottom. After seeing you set-up and what you have stocked, I starting to have doubts. What do you guys think? :help:

·
Administrator
48,689 Posts
Hey Kram, I dont know if you ever got an answer to the stocking question for the hex tank, The lighting you had in mind would probably work OK, but most people will find that a hex, even an 85 it too tall, and needs the stronger light, and that the footprint of the tank is not optimal for a reef tank, you wind up having to go vertical, a rectangle has more space in it for aquascaping and the like. Also mixing coral type can result in conflicts between, say , SPS(hi light,hi flow) and LPS or soft corals (lower light and more lagoonal)
If you already have the tank you might consider setting it up for a certain type of coral and then get one or two spectacular pieces as a a center piece. i.e. a big Yellow Fiji toadstoll, or a trphy hammer,frog,torch or similar coral, HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.