The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would love to add a Copper-Banded, but have heard they are extremely hard to acclimate. My water quality is excellent (90gallon, 40 gallon sump/refugium with a protein skimmer), but I really don't have any aiptasia in the tank. My other fish are a blue hippo tang, yellow sailfin tang, percula & a couple blue chromis. Any thoughts?

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
If your tank has been established for a while you are probably fine. If you are able, I'd recommend purchasing one that you know is eating well for sure. Copperbands are known to be very picky eaters. Some will accept just about anything and others will only eat live foods. Some just won't eat, and end up not making it. They are certainly beautiful fish, but for this reason, are one of the more difficult fish to keep in an aquarium. I'd give it a shot though if you are looking for the challenge. At least you can usually get them without too much trouble and they aren't terribly expensive.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think its good that your tank has little aptasia. they tend to eat that exclusively and refuse to eat what you feed them, then die when its gone. be sure to have no aggressive fish in the tank with it, lots of live rock, and feed often. i feed mine at least once a day, i know this is enough for mine because i feed it by hand so it doesnt have to compete with other fish. tiny mouth = slow eater. good luck!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I bought one before and it died in a few days. My LFS Guy that it was a 50/50 shot when it comes to that fish. Half live and half die.

It was eating too. At first it wasn't so I got Mysis and that did the trick.

You really need to be an expert with that species and I am not.

Also, do not get one if you have Corals.

He did take care of all my Aiptasia while he was around though but then of course it came back.

Good Luck :fish:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts