The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a custom stand with canopy, I used standard 48" lighting overdrived the bulb to 65 watt each X 4 then added a powercompact 260watt for 520 watts total with various bulb combos and timers. Heat was a problem until I did a little smoke test. I never smoke in the house but this is the best way besides dry ice to check for airflow. I placed 2 120mm LED pc fans pulling air from the top of the tank conopy into the canopy air gap to the tank lids and then pulling the heat out the back. I used a 14" round ac powered fan in the under cabinet pushing air over the wet dry and past the twin 33 inch filters to under the glass on the bottom of the tank. My house temp run at about 76 to 78. In the am the tank starts out at 75 to 76 then climbs to about 79 to 80 then starts dropping after 4:00pm (rains everyday from the condisation on the top glass) BTW the top of the tank has very little openings.

All of my other tanks I had over the years I fought with heat, even by putting the tank under an air vent did not really help. Cooling the bottom glass seems to be the trick for breaking the temp climbing. Spacing the tank cab more then 6" from the wall helped as well but if I shut that 14" under cabinet fan off the temp climbs even if I drop the house temp down to 72.

Attachments

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
r6413utah said:
In the am the tank starts out at 75 to 76 then climbs to about 79 to 80 then starts dropping after 4:00pm (rains everyday from the condisation on the top glass) BTW the top of the tank has very little openings.
Might be better off setting your heaters to 77°-78°. A daily swing of 4° isn't good. If you start off 2° lower than your highest temp...it still might top out at 80°, and you'll only be having a daily swing of 2°.

Without getting a chiller, your best bet for temperature control is fans. The one's you added will help...but you could always add more.

of course your evap rate will increase...so adjust your top-off.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You should also take the glass top of your tank, if you are concern about any fish jumping out then use eggcrate to cover it up. Just moving air around the tank also helps.
what kind of light do you have and how high from the water is it? if you have MH you may want to split the time you have them on; I do a 45min "intermission" at about 3:00pm just to cool them down and aloow the fans to cool the water and air on the top.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Little Luey said:
You should also take the glass top of your tank, if you are concern about any fish jumping out then use eggcrate to cover it up. Just moving air around the tank also helps.
I agree with this!It really helps.

·
Registered
468 Posts
hey, what does that APC ups back up?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is my primamry 1.1kva the secondary is only 500 and runs the air pumps. Lights are not on the UPS, over driven ballast with pop the breaker on a UPS under 2.2KVA. I had it on a test for about 40 minutes til teh temp broke 110 on the vent. You also need to be very careful UPS batteries and saltwater do not mix, make a nice almond smell if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your best bet is get an old Pent PC even a 486 notebook will do. Get a electric start generator or a centry system. Pick up an X-10, Alpha or certs board with a 10 amp relay. Have the note book watch for 60% of less on power if so trip the starter relay for the genertor. The trick is the switching on the front end of the ups to go from Comercial service side to Generator service. Whole setup will run you about 5k if you buy new. Barter and do it for about 25% from an eletronics scap yard such as Quick Silver recycling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts