The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· originally original
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello helpful folks, I'm about to drop in a mid-sized pond and waterfall system, the main basin is a Rubbermaid 300 gal stock tank (approx 6.5' x 6.5' x 28" d). The return is either a Quietone 4000 or Mag5, I haven't decided (I have both).

I've had plenty of koi before, but I'm craving something a little different. I'm in Alabama, so our winters are very mild, with the coldest days producing frost that will last until about 9am. The ponds will not be under open sky, so a deep freeze will be impossible down here. It would be reasonable to expect the water temp to range from 65-80 throughout the year.

I love fancy guppies, but my wife wants a turtle so I need fish that are bigger or faster.

One of my friends has a mature Oscar that I'm considering, he's about 13" right now and showing the typical dirty tank head pitting. I figure he'll be good as new quickly in the pond system.

Giant Gouramis (sp?) are another cool choice, but can be difficult to find.

So lay it on me, what fish do you like?

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
You can get some pretty amazing color out of african cichlids, but IDK if they could handle the 65 degree water. I used to know a guy that had a "Texas Cichlid" in with his oscar. FOr coldwater and top down viewing it is tough to beat Koi or shubukins though.

· Quo vadis, Domini.
564 Posts
I've raised quite a few tropicals in my pond and you'd be suprised how big they can get. You might want to try Giant Danios , Blue or Opaline Gouramis , Swordtails , Platies , etc. The Guppies may breed fast enough to keep up with the turtle's (depending on species) appetite so you may be ok with them.

I don't have much luck with tropicals after the first frost in Northeast Texas so I presently have "bait" goldfish , several different panfish , shad and "shiner" minnows in my 1900 gallon. You could try livebearing gambusia (females around 2"). They breed quite freely but can be a bit aggressive. (Some people call 'em ****busia. :p

· originally original
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to look up gambusia, I've always called them mosquito fish. Those will be a necessity down here, otherwise my neighbors will probably burn down my house.

· originally original
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a couple 2.5" Giant Gouramis today. I was amazed to see them for sale at a normal pet shop. Part of me wanted to say "It's pretty irresponsible to sell those to the general public" but then my mouth said "I'll take two".

I may get a couple more, but they were $8 a piece, which seemed high to me. If my first two make it a week, they'll get a bit of company.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.