The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am in the process of picking up 200lbs of Premium Live rock next week and before I put it in the tank, which does not have water in it yet I will fill it and cycle a few times prior, what is the way to go with newly pruchased rock? Why do some cook and some Cure or is it the same process. Man It gets confusing. :ac39:

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
cooking and curing are pretty similar. Cooking is just an elaborated curing process in my opinion, involving more aggressive water changes and deprivation of light. I'd recommend one or the other, but if you're starting a new tank you can just cure it in-tank.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Ok, I am in the process of picking up 200lbs of Premium Live rock next week and before I put it in the tank, which does not have water in it yet I will fill it and cycle a few times prior, what is the way to go with newly pruchased rock? Why do some cook and some Cure or is it the same process. Man It gets confusing. :ac39:
"Curing" rock is the process that takes place before the rock is suitable for a reef tank. Almost immediately after a rock is removed from the ocean a great deal of the life in and one the rock will begin to die. Placing the rock in a container of salt water for a week or two (depending on how bad the rock is when you get it) and cleaning off the dieing organic matter is "curring" the rock. Only after the organisms stop dieing and the rock is clean, will it be cured.
"Cooking" rock is normally used to remove phosphate from the rock. The process involves placing the rock in a very low phosphate environment and forcing the bacteria on the rock to utilize the phosphate bound to the calcium carbonate in the rock, for growth and reproduction. Once the bacteria have stripped the rock of phosphate, it is "cooked".
With new rock, it is best to place it in buckets with air stones for at least a week. At the end of the week you should be able to tell if it is ready for the tank or not. If you don't have animals in the tank, you can cure the rock in the tank. If the rock is fresh from the ocean, it will cause your house to smell like road kill until the rock is cured.
When you get the rock a simple sniff test should tell you how bad off it is. Fully cured LR does not smell like rotting flesh.
Good luck:D

·
Registered
416 Posts
For a newb, cook the rock homie.

I had a few tanks up for many years and always had algae problems with this or that. Then I moved out of state so I had to resetup all of my systems. So I decided I would cook the rock, took about 3 months for me but the results are incredible. So much less work then before.

It's a weird place in the hobby because when your a newb, you don't know about cooking, but then once you find out normally your tank is already set up and no one wants to tear down a tank and cook, so it never gets done.

JMO, HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts