The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here and I've been keeping saltwater and freshwater fish and inverts for awhile,but i want to convert my saltwater tank in to a reef tank:banana:.I've made some progress (FYI the tank is 29 gallon :silly: ) one of my friends gave me her Protein Skimmer,and i have two filters,one tetra whisper and one hang on the back :p ,I'm only keeping the whisper to keep it clear.Anyways right now i have one of those keep T-8 light bulb fixtures with an ocean bulb and i have it stocked with a Royal Gramma,Cinnamon Clownfish,and a watchman Goby with a pistol shrimp and a bunch of hermits.I was wondering what would be a good light fixture for soft and hard corals and what other equipment i should get for my tank to be able to have coral.Also i have little cheapo pump to move the water around.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome to TRT!

Most of the reefers on here are using Live Rock filtration and using a refugium tank with some form of macroalgae. If you already have live rock, you can get rid of the HOB style filters and upgrade to some decent powerheads to get good flow around the rock. As far as lighting goes, how deep is the tank and what do you plan on raising? If you are interested in an anemone and clams, i would recommend a Metal Halide lighting, if not T5's is the way to go.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yup, I had one t5 ho light fixture in my 30g (with one 10k 31 watt daylight and one 31 watt attinic) and softys did great, but if you want to do any lps or sps I'd deff go with two of the fixtures.

I use coralife aqualight

1 - 5 of 5 Posts