The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I have a 54 gallon corner tank with a Megaflow Model 1 Sump. Nothing else right now as I'm trying to research what to get before I start spending. I have been looking to use the sump as a fuge . The sump takes up most of the space in the stand so an external protein skimmer looks out of the question. I'm thinking about the AquaC Urchin for the skimmer, possibly the Remora if it would be feasible and free up space in the sump. Does anyone have any experience converting the meagaflow sump to a fuge? I've searched these forums, other forums and a google search and have not had much luck. Where I have my tank placed I would have room for a hang on the back fuge so have considered that route also. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
A skimmer is going to provide far more benfit than a fuge of that size. I would leave the sump as a sump and see how big of a skimmer you can squeeze into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 6"x9" area in the chamber next to where the bio balls would go. Would I put some LR in the first chamber in place of the bio balls? I'm aiming for 60-70 lbs of LR in my display tank.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you haven't already tried

I have the same sump on my 55. Converting it to a fug will certainly tank a bit as the sump isn't that big. If you really want to go that route then look up how to build your own and give it the space you need. I myself may go with a fug in it, but know if will be quite small, however with the wet/dry in there they tend to create nitrates at some point and having a fug section may eliminate that a bit. I plan on getting a HOB protein skimmer, which will give me enough room to put in some live rock and macro algae in the sump. If you leave a skimmer in the sump I suppose that would eliminate the ability for nitrates to build up as well. Just a matter of choice I guess.:read:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up skipping the fuge and reef octopus skimmer for the sump. Just got everything up and running. so far so good for Day 1 lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just fired mine up only to find it has a little leak at the top where the input comes in. Have to see if I can get a replacement seal or find a replacement of my own and seal up the best I can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts