The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got Salifert test kit and the results were not very good.
I was having problems keeping calcium and alk constant so I got a magnesium test and sure enough....

mg - 900 ppm in tank.

But the crazy thing is that I just made a new batch of salt water and when I tested that it was 900 ppm.

I tested 3 diff times with same number resulting. I heard IO salt was low but I didn't think that low. What should I do to bring this up to par?

That and I'm not even going to try to bring up my calc level 260 ppm, or my alk level 6 dkh.... until I get this mg problem fixed.

Everything in the tank is doing good... button polyps, green open brain, xenia, and all fish look great.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
wow...does THIS ring a bell!

check out this thread (and follow the links, especially the one about my Magnesium problem):

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77119

my problem was with Reef Crystals, but same maker.

Contact IO (Aquarium Systems) first...problem might be the batch of salt. If that doesn't work..contact Salifert...might be a bad test kit.

Either way, both companies are GREAT with helping you out, and will take care of ya'!

keep us posted!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links skeety. I read that thread of yours too, sounds like the same problem. I will contact IO first like you mentioned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts