The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been on my mind for a while. I am thinking of transferring the contents of my 55 into my 110. I know there are a lot of variables to consider, but how feasible is this idea?:read:

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Hmm what do you have livestock wise in both tanks? All 3 of my tanks have similar live stock so for me no problem

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Livestock should be no problem. The only thing in the 110 right now is a spotted hawkfish. I would take him back to the lfs if I went through with this. As for the other tank it has softies, neon gobies, tomato clown, firefish, and a yellowtail bluefang goby.
One of the main issues is the fact that the 110 is 31 inches tall. I am concerned that I may have trouble getting enough light down to the softies. I have two sets of NO T-5s and a 10,000lux natural sunlight light box. I would be willing to buy one more set of NO T-5s but that's it. Thanks for your interest/replies. Please keep the responses coming.:fish: :read: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
cobray said:
Livestock should be no problem. The only thing in the 110 right now is a spotted hawkfish. I would take him back to the lfs if I went through with this. As for the other tank it has softies, neon gobies, tomato clown, firefish, and a yellowtail bluefang goby.
One of the main issues is the fact that the 110 is 31 inches tall. I am concerned that I may have trouble getting enough light down to the softies. I have two sets of NO T-5s and a 10,000lux natural sunlight light box. I would be willing to buy one more set of NO T-5s but that's it. Thanks for your interest/replies. Please keep the responses coming.:fish: :read: :thumbup:
Could you place the coral higher up in the tank? There is a slight chance that you will be able to get away with the softies at the bottom, but I doubt they will get enough light.

·
Registered
274 Posts
What you could do is get more rock if anything and stack it higher up and place the softies at the top where they will get more light

·
11,345 Posts
Honestly cobray, if a reef tank is where your heart is, and what you want this tank for, unless you want to dump a ton of money on lights and electricity, a 31" deep tank is much better for a fish only. Go ahead and make the move if it works for you at the moment but a shallower tank is not only more condusive for reef tanks, it is a heck of a lot easier to work in. And i think you and your reef would be happier in the long run if you kept you eyes peeled for another tank to house your reef in....... Might be kind of cool to keep the 110 to house some of those cool fish that we cant keep in our reefs.

just my $.02

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
having just broke down 1 of my 2 reefs, I say do it

the money you save on keeping 1 tank up instead of 2
will pay for some nice lights if needed

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the original plan was to make the 110 a FOWLR so I could have the best of both worlds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts