The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i sont know if this is extreme but i am considering a total tear down of the tank and rebuild.................the issue has not gotten any better........the first pic looks ok but when you look at th eside veiw you will see what i mean..........i have put poly pads in my wet/dry ..........i have added more carbon............and what the heck is with it looking ok at night with the lights off and gets worse with the 10,000k on? i do not kno wbut i am at the end with this..........i have had 3 fish only for years and never had so much issues

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
That is a hasty decision. and probably will not solve anything. What is going on with your skimmer?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
It looks like a planton bloom (green water), what kind of skimmer do you have? How do you have it set? What is your phospate at night?

IMHO, crank that skimmer up, get it skimming very wet for a while and see if it clears up before tearing anything down. A good syphon of the sand probably wouldn't hurt either since it looks like there is nothing in the tank.

Is this a new tank? How long setup? Was the LR pre-cured before introduction to the tank?

Thanks,
Whiskey

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
did you use RO water or tap water?
i seriously wouldnt tare it down, things will settle out in time

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats the problem i have a aqua c remora that is less then a week old so it is still breaking in i have nothing in the collection cup yet although i do have it all the way down so when it does kick in it will be wet collection .......but i can see the bubbles going up to it, there is organic material at the top of the bubbles, and the inside of the skimmer has a good organic smell to it.............i think the problem is one rock that i bought only 4 lbs it look very good, no smell, but thats where this came from i think.......

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Dont tear it down. be patient let the aqua c do it's thing then things will calm down. like already stated mixsalt with ro or distilled water. no tap.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am curently buying a used kent ro/di unit on ebay............but i did use culligan ro water that is tested monthly and is usually at 9-10ppm on the tds meter.........my water parameters are all correct so i know its not effectin gth ewater quality...........i know that this isnt serious but it is annoying

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
im not sure if it matters but is that all live rock? it looks like dead base rock to me
you need alot more live rock, about 1 1/2 lbs per gallon
yep a UV will clear up the green water

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I guess I take my UV for granted but my water is crystal clear. the UV has been on the tank scense week 3. I did not notice a big change in the clarity of the water but I sure dont have any problems.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ive never used a uv and ive had crystal clear water from day one, but ive also started with all the live rock i needed at once and i never added fish until it was totally cycled. fish make things icky lol
i tried to do an invert only tank but i couldnt do it... i have no will power :)
did you do things too quickly? how old is the set up? if its fairly new (a month or less) then youll just have to ride it out. a uv will clear up the green water but not any other algae, just free floating algae

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Any rock will become "live" in time. I agree on giving it some more time. Let that skimmer fire up and start to blast the rock with a power head or a turkey baster. Do it on a regular basis (daily at first) and then a day before water changes. Blast the rock to get any thing that is built up in it out for the skimmer to grab.

Robert

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
it just doesnt look like live rock to me, 2 peices possibly but the rest looks like reef rocks or dead base rock.
is it fiji live rock? florida cultured?
yes all rock will become "live" in time but by adding enough live rock at once it certainly does speed things up. just seems like too little rock to me, i know your going to add more but i think things would have turned out better if you added it all at once

·
Registered
959 Posts
Man I'm tellin ya I think starting these things is a pita,, I have had so many problems with mine and still am and I'm on month 3 or 4 now. I actually at times wanted to give up but if these guys can do it its possible. So far in 3 months I have accomplished the following

1 healthy goby :)

I never had my water green like that though. maybe go to the LFS and get 15 gallons of pre made a day and start swapping it out till its clear.

Just stick with it, maybe ignore it for a couple days till you feel better again and come back at it.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Im telling you- try a uv. it might work for that green water. Get a uv and give the skimmer some ore time and see what happens.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
zxc is right on the UV, if thats all thats wrong is the green water the uv will make it sparkling clear
i dont use UV's in my aquariums but on my pond i have to, and if it can clear a pea soup green 14'x10' pond i can only imagine how nice it will make an aquarium :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts