The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
I have a 75 gal reef tank that has been set up for about a year and a half or so, and I'm having some problems. I currently have one clown fish, a yellow headed jaw fish, a yellow long nosed butterfly, an electric flame scallop, a blenning, an emerald crab, a cleaner shrimp, a serpent starfish, two venomous catfish, two conchs, a hammer coral, a frog spawn coral, and two other hard corals. I have been having an issue with hair algae for a while, but it hasn't been that bad. But on day, I came home to one of my hard corals completely bleached, my frogspawn very shriveled up, and one of my catfish (I had 3) dead and stuck to a fan. If any of these things happened isolated, I wouldn't be too concerned. This happened about 3 days ago, and my frog spawn is still shriveled up (pictures below). I am also little worried about my scallop, it looks a little off, ill post a picture. Have any of you experienced anything similar?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are actually lots of things that can cause this. Changes in pH, high nitrates, to some degree phosphates as well, and of course ammonia. If you have been having an issue with hair algae my guess would be nitrates as the issue. How often do you do water changes? Also do you use RO/DI water?
I do water changes once a week, I also put RO water in my sump when the water level is low to make up for evaporated water. My nitrates aren't very high, but there not zero. Should they be at zero?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts