The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okee this one has me confused. i got my calc and alk up to where i want it but now what will happen when i do a water change? wont the calc and alk be diluted and lowered? i only do 10% at a time
i figured i can add it in the bucket of freshly mixed saltwater but im not sure how much to add to reach the same level as my tank
oh my brain is hurting on this one :read:

·
Older Than the Cretaceous
163 Posts
There is no real need to worry. You can add some Ca++ or boost the Alk up in the saltmix if you wish or feel there is a need. What is the Ca++, and Alk of the tank and new salt mix ?

Be it for your tank or a holding container you can use this calculator

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

·
11,345 Posts
BoomerMn said:
There is no real need to worry. You can add some Ca++ or boost the Alk up in the saltmix if you wish or feel there is a need. What is the Ca++, and Alk of the tank and new salt mix ?

Be it for your tank or a holding container you can use this calculator

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
That is kind of cool but I question some of the results i got just playing around. For instance, it said if i wanted to raise my magnesium using kent tech M from 1100 to 1350, that it would take a half gallon of kent tech M to do so. I dont have any scientific argument that that result isnt correct, but I DO need to raise my mag that much and ironically, i just ordered a gallon of kent tech M. I assumed it would last me more than a couple of water changes......a LOT more. Definitely is going to make me do some extra research before i use any of the stuff.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Bill let me know if you find anything interesting or informative out about the Mag thing. I tested mine at 1250 or so the other day and ordered the same thing. :lol: I guess once that is in line the rest falls together better, but I hope someone can elaborate on this without making smoke come out of my ears from confusion.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Best solution for you, is if you got your Ca and Alk right where you want them, look into dripping Kalkwasser. It's PERFECT for keeping your Ca and Alk levels right where you want them.

As far as your WC's diluting the levels...that depends on what the Ca and Alk levels of your SW mix are. Next batch you make, test them. If they are right on, then you have no worries. If not, might want to start adding Ca and/or Alk buffers to your SW to bring it up to snuff, hours before actually doing the WC.

If the levels in your Salt mix are right then the main reasons for the levels changing in your display will be Calcium uptake by corals and/or poor air circulation in the area of the tank (elevated CO2 levels).

This is a very confusing issue for all of us at first, so please keep asking questions until you understand it! (I know it took me quite a while)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the salt mix has an average calc/alk
but i keep mine higher than that
my calc is 520(give of take) and my alk is 7 meq/l PH 8.5 (im trying to get this slightly higher as well)
i used the calculator and for my calc it said to have 7 meq/l so they balance out with each other

i use IO salt and its like 400 calc and 3-4 meq/l

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
add a buffer like Kent super buffer or read sea success Bufff to the water that is going in. I do do may water changes..... All water chemistry is perfect and I rely on P- Tein skimmeing,

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
why are you keeping your Ca that high? i have not seen any real research showing elevated Ca/alk levels increase growth in corals. raising temp of the tank does, but not having a consistent Ca/alk levels above NSW levels. they can not force a coral to use more Ca/alk. just because there is more Ca/alk in the water column does not mean that it will just decide to deposit itself on the corals.

i keep my Ca at 400. just above NSW 350. this gives me just a little extra margin of safety in between Ca tests. if your Ca is to high, it is much easier to skew your Mg levels.

G~

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
My cA was ay 650 last time I checked,..... What can happen, Its because of oceanic salt, but what can I do, buffer alkalinity?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
I like Ca 425, Mg 1300, and Alk 8.0 Dkh

My salt comes in at Ca 390-400, Mg 1100, Alk 9-10

What I do, add 25 ML 2 part CA, add about 200 ML of my stock homade mag buffer.

I know I need to add this much of these things every time I mix up 7 gallons of water, so any more it doesn't take that long.

BTW, you should never keep your CA over 450, lower that ;)

HTH,
Whiskey

·
163 Posts
G

why are you keeping your Ca that high? i have not seen any real research showing elevated Ca/alk levels increase growth in corals

I agree, matter of fact studies that have been done show that growth does not increase over 360 ppm. There is suppose to be a study that shows elevated Alk does increase growth but I have not seen it yet :(

Fly Guy

question some of the results i got just playing around. For instance, it said if i wanted to raise my magnesium using kent tech M from 1100 to 1350, that it would take a half gallon of kent tech M to do so.

Yes, many think that at first, seem like a lot but it is correct. I just went through this with a guy on another forum, or adding Kent Turbo. "Isn't that allot". He added it and his calcium went up 20 ppm as calculated. This calculator has been around for 2 years, always being upgraded for new sup products. There are probably a few thousand reefers that use it. Never heard of a complaint yet :)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im battling dinoflaglates and i read to raise alk and ph and that will help control it, and if i raise alk dont i have to raise calc so the alk doesnt depete it?
according to the calculator when i raise the alk to 7 meq/l it said to raise the calc so it will be balanced 520/7

·
163 Posts
You do not have to raise the Ca++ or Alk when dealing with dino's. It is to just raise the pH, up to about 8.5 with kalk and try to leave it there for a week. When you raise all three up there may be an issue with a snowstorm

You should have told us this in your first post

How do you know they are dino's, got any pics ?

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my ph is allready 8.5 and has been since day one
i have dino 100% theres no question about it
its all in my other post on page 2
and alk DOES have to be raised in treating dino, recomended is 11dkh

i didnt need to say its cuz the dinos cuz all i want to know is how to keep this up with water changes being much lower than my tanks chemistry

·
163 Posts
Sorry and alk DOES have to be raised in treating dino, recomended is 11dkh NO it DOES NOT. Although using Kalk may end up getting it that high.

Page 2, of what, it is not on this thread, where is it ? I'm replying to this post and what is here and what is stated. I'm not a mind reader :) There are 15 posts on this thread, nothing on dino's and there is no page 2

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dude it doesnt matter
i dont feel like getting into my dino troubles all over again

when it comes time to do a water change ill do what the above posters said, ill raise it in the saltwater mix several hours before hand

7 meq/l alkaline isnt extremely high and 500 ppm calcium wont do any harm
i have alot of corals, they consume it very quickly

when i never added calc or alk to my tank and just did the weekly water changes my alk was at 2 meq/l thats dangerously low
my calcium wasnt too bad it was about 350ppm...i raised that first and on altering days i would dose for alk

id love to use kalkwasser but i dont want that big drippy IV bottle in my room :funny: kinda unsightly dont ya think :confused: :)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
BoomerMn said:
Sorry and alk DOES have to be raised in treating dino, recomended is 11dkh NO it DOES NOT. Although using Kalk may end up getting it that high.

Page 2, of what, it is not on this thread, where is it ? I'm replying to this post and what is here and what is stated. I'm not a mind reader :) There are 15 posts on this thread, nothing on dino's and there is no page 2
She meant the second page of the general discussion board.

She is doing the right thing by raising the alk.

However, according to Sprung you should not be doing water changes during the dino bloom, so this answers your main question on this thread. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
pastina said:
id love to use kalkwasser but i dont want that big drippy IV bottle in my room :funny: kinda unsightly dont ya think :confused: :)
I keep my reservoir in the closet next to the tank and all you see is a bit of tubing running from the closet to the tank. The kalk drips into the sump and it's a gravity fed system. I don't know where your tank is located but maybe you can hide it the same way.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts