The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met the local reefer guy today and he gave me two types of shrooms to try in my tank: 3 regular good ole blue shrooms, and 3 green-striped shrooms.

he had already plucked and bagged these shrooms prior to me meeting him.

the blue ones were pretty much intacted with stem, mouth and petals on each one.

but on the green-striped ones it was just the petals. i dont see a mouth or a stem ....it just doesn't look right...he said if they didnt work, he provide more.

i have both the blues and the greens laying on some rock-rubble..... will these green-striped shrooms grow a stem and a mouth -or- will the green ones just shrivel-up and die?

(i think i know the answer....that the green petals will just slowly die.... but just want to confirm)

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it matter HOW these shrooms are laying on the rock-rubble???

the blue ones are laying mouth up.... the green petals are really curvy petals and I can't make out what is up or down on them....they are just laying all curvy all over the rock

·
Registered
657 Posts
mouth up if you can find it on the greens. the top/mouth side should be a bit brighter in color. mine are anyway, you may have to give them a day or two two expand out so you tell what's going on, just don't mess with them much and you'll be good, I once cut a shroom in 8 pieces, all lived

jd

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
It makes no differance. Any peice of a shroom will grow if the conditions are even remotely non-toxic. Shrooms are nearly indistructable. The only way to kill them really is with poison (like copper, hydrogen sulfide, ETC...) or to have the water too clean. I have been cooking some rock for a few weeks now. I think about 4 or so weeks. The only thing left on them are shrooms. Bubble algae.. gone, aptasia... gone, hair algae...gone, coraline...gone, the only thing that will not die is the shrooms. They have been in total darkeness sloshed in and out of buckets and not fed for a long time and they are still growing. I have had shrooms grow into power heads and sucked into them and shot out all over the tank and then had the entire tank covered in little clones of the poor guy that got sucked into it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts