The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for some advice as I’m very new to the marine world...
We have had our tank set up since 14th December, adding our first fish (pair of clowns) on 13th February and then on 19th February we added a yellow Tang and racoon butterflyfish (it is now 21st February).
The butterflyfish won’t eat, sometimes he goes for the food and spits it straight back out again. I’ve bought more food that they are meant to like, but still won’t eat.
Tonight it has started just floating around and barely swimming or moving. It also looks like it’s panting.
we can’t see any markings or white spots on it and his colour seems fine.
Should I be concerned? Or is this normal behaviour for this type of fish?
Any help would greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
have you tried crustacean meat, mysis shrimp, frozen food?
What foods have you tried?

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,036 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Butterfly Fish. After some quick searching I've found their habit of dinning often involves eating/picking off of the reef as they are reef chompers. If you can, either place some frozen food in a crevice in your rock work, or a clam/mussel on the 1/2 shell on the bottom and see if that triggers an ingrained feeding instinct.....it may not recognize what you're offering as food.
Hack

·
15,036 Posts
How's your Yellow Tang doing......any issues?
Hack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about the Butterfly Fish. After some quick searching I've found their habit of dinning often involves eating/picking off of the reef as they are reef chompers. If you can, either place some frozen food in a crevice in your rock work, or a clam/mussel on the 1/2 shell on the bottom and see if that triggers an ingrained feeding instinct.....it may not recognize what you're offering as food.
Hack
Thank you, I will try that.
I’ve just come downstairs this morning to find the butterfly laying on the sand not moving and panting heavily.
a few minutes later it moved but was swimming so weakly that the fan sucked him onto it and he couldn’t move away until I switched it off.
He’s now at the opposite end of the tank laying on the sand, not moving and panting heavily.
I have a photo and video, but can’t see if I can post it to show you 🤔

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I will try that.
I’ve just come downstairs this morning to find the butterfly laying on the sand not moving and panting heavily.
a few minutes later it moved but was swimming so weakly that the fan sucked him onto it and he couldn’t move away until I switched it off.
He’s now at the opposite end of the tank laying on the sand, not moving and panting heavily.
I have a photo and video, but can’t see if I can post it to show you 🤔
the Tang seems to be doing ok.
I noticed he has a white stripe across his side this morning but from research, this is normal as they change colour over night?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How's your Yellow Tang doing......any issues?
Hack
our butterflyfish died this morning, I’ve done all the tests and everything is in the normal range so I’ll head to our local fish shop and chat with them to see what they think I should do.
Thanks for your help

·
15,036 Posts
Looking for some advice as I’m very new to the marine world...
We have had our tank set up since 14th December, adding our first fish (pair of clowns) on 13th February and then on 19th February we added a yellow Tang and racoon butterflyfish (it is now 21st February).
Sorry to hear of the loss......NEVER easy watching helplessly as that happens.

Now for the 'cold side' of offering advice.....
Marine fish keeping is far different from the fresh water hobby side, and stocking limits, tank size limits, and compatibility are very important.

You have a 65 gallon tank, and the Tang and the Butterfly Fish both require 100-125+ gallon tanks. Yes fish stores show them off in 10 gallon tanks, and 'questionable' fish stores will sell them to people and say 'oh there'll be fine in your so n so size tank'. You can get a way with it with small specimens for a while till they start growing, but even then both of those fish are 'far roaming, and active swimmers', they feed over a large range in the natural habitat. Blennies, Gobbies, Clown Fish and similar type species are happy in one little area, and thus a smaller tank option.

And you started out nice and slow when you started......Adding the Clowns when you did, and then checking with us was a great start.......BUT then adding both a Tang and the Butterfly at the same time could easily have caused a 'spike' in your system.....perhaps ammonia/nitrite levels rose quickly, and then dissipated before you re-tested to find all was good.

Were both new Fish juveniles, or adult size? And if your local fish store suggested them, I would be cautious taking their advice from here on. Even with a trusted lfs, it is good to do your own research before hand to be sure.....and in this day and age of technology we have our 'smart phones' right in front of us at the fish store to do a quick check. ("BUT still even then it is better to research ahead of time before even going there......look for a wide range of information. Often times one source will seem 'out of place' compared to the others.") We all have found in this age of technology that 'if you look long enough you can find the answer you like despite what the majority say.

Not at all meant to discourage you......,MOST ALL OF US have been here. Just trying to give you the best advice I can, and save you heart aches as you go. Seen way too many people come on 'hot n heavy' and fall by the way side before too long. I/We are hoping and wishing you all the best,
Hack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear of the loss......NEVER easy watching helplessly as that happens.

Now for the 'cold side' of offering advice.....
Marine fish keeping is far different from the fresh water hobby side, and stocking limits, tank size limits, and compatibility are very important.

You have a 65 gallon tank, and the Tang and the Butterfly Fish both require 100-125+ gallon tanks. Yes fish stores show them off in 10 gallon tanks, and 'questionable' fish stores will sell them to people and say 'oh there'll be fine in your so n so size tank'. You can get a way with it with small specimens for a while till they start growing, but even then both of those fish are 'far roaming, and active swimmers', they feed over a large range in the natural habitat. Blennies, Gobbies, Clown Fish and similar type species are happy in one little area, and thus a smaller tank option.

And you started out nice and slow when you started......Adding the Clowns when you did, and then checking with us was a great start.......BUT then adding both a Tang and the Butterfly at the same time could easily have caused a 'spike' in your system.....perhaps ammonia/nitrite levels rose quickly, and then dissipated before you re-tested to find all was good.

Were both new Fish juveniles, or adult size? And if your local fish store suggested them, I would be cautious taking their advice from here on. Even with a trusted lfs, it is good to do your own research before hand to be sure.....and in this day and age of technology we have our 'smart phones' right in front of us at the fish store to do a quick check. ("BUT still even then it is better to research ahead of time before even going there......look for a wide range of information. Often times one source will seem 'out of place' compared to the others.") We all have found in this age of technology that 'if you look long enough you can find the answer you like despite what the majority say.

Not at all meant to discourage you......,MOST ALL OF US have been here. Just trying to give you the best advice I can, and save you heart aches as you go. Seen way too many people come on 'hot n heavy' and fall by the way side before too long. I/We are hoping and wishing you all the best,
Hack
Oh wow, we were told the size of our tank was fine for the tang and butterfly. We decided the qualified staff at our local store would give better advice than looking at lots of opinions online. They both have marine biology degrees too so we’ve been putting our trust in them.
Maybe I was wrong, dammit!!

·
15,036 Posts
MAN, I'm sooooooo happy you took THIS the right way and didn't cuss me out.....'Mailmen catch the blame of the bad letters'. 👍

NO not so much you were wrong, but them....expert or not. Now you are smarter than the experts....We won't always be right here, but we will always try to give you the best advice we can, and NEVER with the weight of having to worry about selling you anything.
Peace,
Hack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MAN, I'm sooooooo happy you took THIS the right way and didn't cuss me out.....'Mailmen catch the blame of the bad letters'. 👍

NO not so much you were wrong, but them....expert or not. Now you are smarter than the experts....We won't always be right here, but we will always try to give you the best advice we can, and NEVER with the weight of having to worry about selling you anything.
Peace,
Hack
So in your opinion, what should I do with my yellow tang? We don’t have space for a tank any bigger than the one we have (240L/65 Gallon). Can I keep him? Will he be ok? Will he grow to full size if there isn’t space for him to do so? Sorry for the million questions

·
15,036 Posts
Sadly this is soooooo common of a question, and a PERFECT EXAMPLE of, 'If you look long enough you will find the answer you want to hear, despite what the vast majority will tell you.'.
As I mentioned earlier, this is the 'gold standard' we have come to trust over the years.

They and MOST CREDIBLE sites, the one's where most of us have had our dealings and come to trust, list 100 gallons as a minimum. 'GALLONAGE' isn't so much the end all of this, as 'space for swimming and foraging' is, and is tied in to the gallon size most often.

That page from LiveAquaria was put up there so you could see a viable option......IF a bright yellow, active, fish with a beyond belief personality is a preference for you.....A lot of folks around here, including myself have kept these.....and all will account to the fact that they are fantastic.
20160914_174702-1-1.jpg 20160914_174702-1.jpg CAM04458.jpg
Mine, 'Spotty', would actually let you pet his nose at feeding time.

An honest answer would be to return the Yellow Tang to your local fish store. There are loads of options for a 'splash of yellow' in your tank.....a Yellow Watchman Goby.....a Yellow Wrasse.....Yellow Clown Goby.....

Once again as well as 'research what you want'.....include with that where you would like your tank to head.....Corals, what types.....Inverts.....fish only.....

Far easier to learn all this at an early stage, and wish you all the best,
Hack

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
The butterfly fish was most likely caught with cyanide and died of cyanide poisoning.
How long did the fish store have it before you bought it?
It is often a good idea to wait a couple of weeks after a fish store gets a fish is to buy it.
This way if it is sick or poisoned the fish store absorbs the cost of the fish and you.
Many fish stores will hold a fish for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sadly this is soooooo common of a question, and a PERFECT EXAMPLE of, 'If you look long enough you will find the answer you want to hear, despite what the vast majority will tell you.'.
As I mentioned earlier, this is the 'gold standard' we have come to trust over the years.

They and MOST CREDIBLE sites, the one's where most of us have had our dealings and come to trust, list 100 gallons as a minimum. 'GALLONAGE' isn't so much the end all of this, as 'space for swimming and foraging' is, and is tied in to the gallon size most often.

That page from LiveAquaria was put up there so you could see a viable option......IF a bright yellow, active, fish with a beyond belief personality is a preference for you.....A lot of folks around here, including myself have kept these.....and all will account to the fact that they are fantastic.
View attachment 240976 View attachment 240977 View attachment 240978
Mine, 'Spotty', would actually let you pet his nose at feeding time.

An honest answer would be to return the Yellow Tang to your local fish store. There are loads of options for a 'splash of yellow' in your tank.....a Yellow Watchman Goby.....a Yellow Wrasse.....Yellow Clown Goby.....

Once again as well as 'research what you want'.....include with that where you would like your tank to head.....Corals, what types.....Inverts.....fish only.....

Far easier to learn all this at an early stage, and wish you all the best,
Hack
Thank you for your advice, I’ll look into it 👍

1 - 15 of 15 Posts