The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These are newly purchased hammer corals, they've been in my 12 gallon fluval edge nano tank for about a week. I added them the same day I added the torch in the foreground.

Yesterday they only extended about a half inch but today I'm not even getting that.

I've got zoas, candy cane coral etc that all seem to be doing great. Water parameters are:

salinity: 1.026
PH: 7.9
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: somewhere between 10-20 (api chart sucks to read)

Could too much light cause this? I do have them under a Kessil 150.

Photos attached, here is a video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e1YGT3d93A

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Just tested my GH and KH. I lost the chart and booklet but it took 8 drops for KH.

My GH took 30 drops and still had not changed color. This seems way excessive to me. I use RO water from the LFS for every change.. Could this be my problem? I know GH is generally more for freshwater since all saltwater is hard. Just trying to figure this out.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I wouldn't worry about GH - that's not something we test for in saltwater. It's kind of the alkalinity equivalent in freshwater.

It could very well be the lighting, did you acclimate them to it at all? You could try moving it down further in the tank and see if that helps. The foremost one looks like a torch, not a hammer. The others are too sucked in to properly ID, but if they're like the front one then they'd be torches too, which are quite a bit more finicky than hammers.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't worry about GH - that's not something we test for in saltwater. It's kind of the alkalinity equivalent in freshwater.

It could very well be the lighting, did you acclimate them to it at all? You could try moving it down further in the tank and see if that helps. The foremost one looks like a torch, not a hammer. The others are too sucked in to properly ID, but if they're like the front one then they'd be torches too, which are quite a bit more finicky than hammers.
The one in the foreground that is extended is a torch. It's doing great. Those in the rear that are retracted are the hammers.

They're superglued to the rock so not easy to move, plus in this nano tank there really isn't any low light area unless it's shaded by a rock. They came from a setup with T5 lighting so I am wondering if the Kessil light is too strong for them. I will turn the light off for a bit and then only turn it on in increments for a couple days and see if that helps.

Since I posted this they have come out a little more. I attached a new photo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
It does look better. In the first photos you can see his skeleton is very exposed (those ridges where the polyps pull in) which isn't a good sign and makes damage to the polyps easy. If it was like that when you got it then it's probably trying to recover. If you can turn the lights down and then slowly increase intensity over a couple weeks that would be better than shorter periods of light.

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
If it dies, leave it in the tank. They can grow new heads. I've got one that did the same thing. Now it's doing better than ever

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It does look better. In the first photos you can see his skeleton is very exposed (those ridges where the polyps pull in) which isn't a good sign and makes damage to the polyps easy. If it was like that when you got it then it's probably trying to recover. If you can turn the lights down and then slowly increase intensity over a couple weeks that would be better than shorter periods of light.
Unfortunately I have the Kessil A150, there is no dimmer. So I'll have to stick with on and off cycles. I should have spent a bit more and got the A160. I did adjust the light so the main focal point is into my overflow box and more of the edge light is hitting the corals.

When I first added them to the tank they were on ceramic discs. I cut them off the discs with a dremel and glued them down where they are now. They retracted all the way to where I could see the skeleton after the dremeling but recovered completely by the next day. Then 3-4 days later they were retracted again. Haha I feel like this detail should have been mentioned up front but since they'd extended completely the next day I didn't think it was important.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it dies, leave it in the tank. They can grow new heads. I've got one that did the same thing. Now it's doing better than ever
That's very good to know. Hoping it doesn't die though! You can't tell in my photos with them all retracted but one colony is purple with green tips and the other is green with purple tips. Really great looking.

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
The green with blue tips hammer in the top right is the one I had die for a few months then sprout 2 heads. Crappy pic but here's proof

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The green with blue tips hammer in the top right is the one I had die for a few months then sprout 2 heads. Crappy pic but here's proof
That's a great coloration. Hey, off topic but, if I put multiple varieties of hammer near each other and they grow, will they fight each other off or grow together? It would be sweet to cover a rock with several different colorations of hammer all looking like one huge colony.

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
Where they are in the same family they won't/shouldn't bother each other. They most likely won't mix. Just grow out in other areas when they get close to eachother

1 - 12 of 12 Posts