The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a 55g fowlr tank

I have about 10-12 snails mostly small 3 large, 2 cleaner peppermint shrimp. An orchid Dottyback, Electric Blue Damsel, Scooting Blenny.

Anyway, starting on monday or tuesday my orchid dottyback has been nearly constantly hiding and not coming out for food most of the time. I can see the fish in different hiding places around the tank but as I said it doesnt seem to be interested in food.

All of my levels are fine ph is about 8, ammonia nitrite, nitrate are all 0. salinity is 1.018

The other 2 fish seem perfectly fine. I know that the damsels and dottybacks can both be aggressive fish, but it doesnt appear that either of the 2 have any nipped fins or anything, although up until this week the dottyback had been clearly dominant over the damsel but they got along, didnt fight over food, simply chased each other out of their respective corners (dotty left side of tank, damsel right) and otherwise appeared to get along (although obviously I am gone at work and only see them from when I am home to when the lights go off in the evening.

Im also not sure if it is just my imagination from being worried about the fish, but it sort of looks like it is breathing a little hard, but the tank should have plenty of o2 in the water because I have a powerhead disturbing the surface as well as a secondary hob filter that is constantly causing02 to be put in the water.

Just looking for help, thoughts, opinions, suggestions, reassurances

Thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dottys will hang out in the rock work and eat pods and other things in the tank. is it moving around in the rocks or sitting in a single spot not really moving?

what is the temp? and how long has it been doing this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dottys will hang out in the rock work and eat pods and other things in the tank. is it moving around in the rocks or sitting in a single spot not really moving?

what is the temp? and how long has it been doing this?
It has been switching hiding spots about once every 2-3 hours and then just sitting there not really moving. It has been 3-4 days now and the fish up until this point had frequently been fairly active and out in the open a good chunk of time. It mainly concerned me that it no longer acts interested in food as it has been a good eater since it was introduced to the tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long have they been in the tank before the behavior began? what are you feeding?
I have had the fish for about a month, started out in a 30g, found cracks in that tank and upgraded to a 55 2 weeks ago.

Feed combo of frozen vitamin enriched brine and a mix for omnivorous fish

·
Registered
67 Posts
So they have been in the current tank for about 2 weeks, maybe just still getting used to the tank and surroundings. Has the rock work been moved around any in the past 2 weeks? I think they are just settling in to their new environment. I'll bet he's eating, just being secretive about it. Is his belly pinched in?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I just got a sunset dottyback and it hides in the rock. Its most likely the damsels. They kinda open there mouth weird when they are breathing I dont think I would worry about that. I got mine yesterday unless I look.for it I cant see it

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The salinity seems a little low. I keep mine at 1.024. If keeping a fowlr I guess it would be ok. Try a 20% water change. I have seen excess ammonia do this in fresh water fish. A water change usually fixed the issue. You could have stirred up some extra nitrates in the water. I am not a big fan of chemicals but Prime works wonders if I have a small issue that I can't get to right away. It adds a coat of slime to the fish and reduces nitrates. Stress coat would do basically the same thing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts