The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

A friend of mine has AOL email w/AOL web browser. He switched to cable broadband service, using Eudora email software, and IE browser. All is well, but...

He needs to access is aol email for awhile, and the dialup no longer works (I know how to fix that, but it isn't working)

He can get his aol email from "webmail" via his cable service and IE.

However....

When someone sends him a link within an aol message, it goes nowhere b/c it's evidently trying to find the aol browser. ??

When he launches the aol browser, and types a URL in, it goes nowhere b/c he's not dialed up.

I've recommended he have his aol email forwarded to his cable email address...and dump aol asap.

Here's the question:
How do I help him get his accounts to recognize only one browser, the IE browser, and get rid of the aol browser conflict? He's afraid to delete all the aol program from his computer. He's running XP OS.

Thanks!

Shirley :)

·
Super Moderator
27,708 Posts
Ouch! THat is complicated. I don't know the answer, but I agree with you that your friend should get another ISP, fer sher!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
You can't... :( Have him change his aol settings from dial up to Lan and he will be able to use his cable connection to access and sign onto AOL.

Have hoim "open" aol and then go to "setup" so that he can create a new "location" that uses "lan" instead of dial up

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much! I will pay him a visit and help him do this.

Is it necessary to delete the aol browser and aol software, etc?

Also, is there an easy way to import his bookmarks from the aol browser to the IE browser? I can't find his "favorites" folder for aol, and so far, it's been a matter of copy the URL of a bookmarked site, go to the other browser, launch the site, then book mark it. Very time-consuming and clumsy. And, he's having to manually add all the email addresses into Eudora since there doesn't seem to be a way to import them from aol, right?

THanks again,

~ Shirley :)

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Aol likes AOL and nothing else. I know of no way to import bookmarks from Aol to another browser but I'll look in my computer and see what I can find. I use Knology but also have AOL, wife hosts chats on AOl and we get it free.. Still not sureit's worth it tho... :funny:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I'll check with Vikki once I get a hold of her, she's in Dallas for Mary Kay convention as well as to visit family. I can't even find the "file" that holds the AOL "favorites"...

I found something he may be able to try. Go to AOL and open "favorite Places" , then open a New email (click on "write") then one by one drag and drop the individual "favorite places links into the body of the email then email it to an email addy outside of AOL.. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
be careful about removing AOL software once it has been loaded. Deleting AOL programs can cause major problems to your computer.

I finally got my sister off of AOL. When she removed AOL software she then had major conflicts with Earthlink ISP software. To get her computer to function properly I had to re format her entire hard drive.

·
Super Moderator
27,708 Posts
Oh yeh...I did have a time getting rid of AOL, but once I did, Earthlink is a charm :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts