The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my computer crashed a couple of days ago....I'm almost positive it is virus related...my boot disk, startup disk nor my recovery disk will recognize the c: drive...says the fat files are missing....

can I replace the hard drive, reinstall the OS (Win 98se) and then clean the old hard drive??

is there an easier way?

thanx for any help anyone has to offer...

bob

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
If it's not a hardware problem, you ought to be able to have the current hard drive formatted and everything reloaded. I'm not sure why you'd need a new hard drive...

Someone will jump in here with an answer...

I'm really sorry this happened to you. :(

Nothing to do with the virus issue, but...
If your computer/printer/scanner/etc are compatible with Win XP, then you might consider switching at this point....it's so much more stable than '98se.

~ Shirley

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shirley....as a last resort, I'd reformat, but don't want to if I don't have to....I should be able to recover, but if the new HD thing will work, it will be just as cheap to install a new hard drive as to have someone reformat this one.....and I'll save all my files and end up with a new hard drive (read bigger)....
I'm not opposed to upgrading OS but doing anything new with Windows is a stress tesst in itself.....not sure if my heart can stand that much stress right now....

bob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dad, if you buy a new hard drive, it usually comes with a format floppy disk. Formatting a hard drive is a simple task. Just load the floppy before you start your computer and then follow the instructions. Depending on size of hard drive and its rpms it may take 10 to 20 minutes to format.

You can get 40 gig hard drives for 50-70 dollars now days. Windows 98 is a fine OS no need to upgrade and spend 150 dollars for Windows XP (Xtra Problems) OS.

Doesn't hurt to have an extra hard to back up all your files on. But I'd be careful about recovering files from an infected hard drive. You may want to run a virus scan on the old hard drive before you try to copy files from it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
No worries Dad, I have one computer set up just for surfing and READING email.
:)
No knock on Windows XP but it is just different than 98. Not as simple to get older hardware to work. Lots of Driver issues to deal with.
XP is great if all of your hardware is the latest model.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I have to agree with Mr Ono... I personally use 2000 Pro but it also has software compatability issues. But since I don't tend to use my computer for games it's not that big of a deal for me. I personally prefer and use PcCillin (Trend Micro) AV with Nortons pulling a close second. Trend Micro also has a website where you can go and have thier system check your computer for v*rus's for free and as often as you like. Under V*rus protection click on "free online scan" and it will take you to "house calls". It works really well and doesn't load any programs to your system. It also won't interfear with any AV you already have on your system.

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/enterprise.htm

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Nortons has to be paid for on a yearly basis to keep getting updates. PcCillin, has never asked me to pay anything other than the initial cost of purchase and has always updated. We have Nortons at work and I recently installed "Spybot - Search and Destroy" and it found 3 trojans that Nortons missed. I've also gone to "house calls" with it and it also found a V*rus that Nortons missed.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx don
I guess that explains a few things huh!!!

I just got back from circuit city (Did I say how much I dislike that place)...they had an 80gig HD on sale for $60 bucks....

soon as get it back up I'll do the PcCillin thing....I have heard of them before as being good also...

thanx a gain for the input..

bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.