The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
That appears to be a pic of small toadstools. I've seen them as wide as basketballs.

Clowns fanning the sand are either courting or preparing to spawn. They usually clean off a flat surface for their eggs. They could just be 'practicing' ;)

The stuff on the rock, near the bottom on the right appears to be sponge, if that's what you're referring to. Nice coralline, BTW ;) Good job!

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
If the clowns spawn, unless you take heroic measures to isolate and raise the fry (involves installing Frankenstein's lab in your house) the fry will just become part of the 'circle of life'... fish and coral food.

Sponge is fine - filter feeder. If it grows too crazy you may want to remove some of it but for now it's small - let it be. I've got one kind that pops up occasionally that's black and stringy and can get rather unsightly - but angels love to pick at it ;)

Jenn

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I have seen pictures of a toad stool that was 200 pounds. The guy had it in a 210 gallon tank and had to remove it because it was too wide for the tank (24 inches).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have those sponges in my tank too. Every now and then I have some pop up. Sounds like your other tank critters will be having some live food soon. I know that it is sad but, clowns reproduce quite a bit.

·
5,916 Posts
abong said:
so the spawn will just get eaten??
Yep, that's what I said - they become fish and coral food.

Jenn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts