The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Coralife salt since I started in this hobby. Today I was alerted to the fact that there are trace levels of certain metals in this brand as well as Instant Ocean. It was reccomended to me to start using salt manufactured by Marine Enterprises. Supposedly their salt is as close to natural seawater as you can get. The info came from a friend of mine that does tank maintenence at Ocean Journey, the public aquarium in Denver. He said that all of the public aquariums use this brand. What do you guys think about this? I think I will begin to switchover as soon as I can find a local distributor. I could get it from my buddy if all else fails, but Ocean Journey has had financial problems and may close down at the end of 03'. I am curious as to what brand of salt that members of this board use. Do any of you use Marine Enterprises(Crystal Sea I believe is the name of the product), if so to what result?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Oh gee Toad. Yes that was a big hoopla stirred up by tyhe good Doctor. It got a bunch of folks in trouble with all thier corals bleaching. The doc did a test to try to deflect everyones attetion away from his DSB's. The test was skewed and he took test results from a very nasty study on salt mixes for the salts he didnt like and then took the manufactures content list for the MM salt. The whole test was kind of a joke. If you do a search for a thread called Skewed testing you can find more info on the details.
I found an early test that was done on MM salt as well as all the other salt mixes that RON was pooping on. It actually showed that the MM had the same amount or more of trace and Metals in it. SO dont fall victim to it.
On another note thier is a problem with corallife salt. It has really high amounts of sicaltes and lithum (up to 90 times as much as other salts). The main problem is that it uses Boron for a buffering system, which is not how it works in the wild. This also makes it impossible to get a proper ALK measurement with out using thier (corallife) test kit.

hope it helps

mike

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
IO rooles...

...the others droole...

:dance: :blob: :blob: :help: :blob: :blob: :dance:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Yikes... now I find out that coralife has high levels of silicates... and I was thinking it was my unfiltered water causing all the diatom blooms in my tank... :eek:

I've also been using it since I got into the hobby because it's the only salt readily available in 5-gallon buckets.
Dangit... looks like I should invest in some IO...

On a side note everything seems to be doing well in the Coralife salt, but I'd rather everything be as close to optimal as possible (and for my diatoms to go away).

·
Registered
822 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't change anything your doing, unless you've got a specific problem. If you've been having good success with the coralife salt, and working around diatoms and alkalinity testing problems with no major difficulties, I might stick with it for now. I am using Instant Ocean salt, and fought off the tempatation to switch after reading Shimeks report. But I agree, that there are too many questions still unanswered and have decided to take a wait and see approach until all the dust settles.

On the other hand, if the diatoms are really causing you headaches, that might be enough to make me switch...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thanks for the advice there Phantom Phish. My diatom bloom started the second week my tank was set up, and has never gone away.
I have 2 Mexican Turbo snails and around 20 Astrea snails and they barely make a dent in the diatom population in my 55 gallon tank. If I don't scrape the glass daily I get severe diatom buildup to the point where I can't see through it (and my tank is now almost 6 months old).
It's been really frustrating, because I'm tired of seeing brown in my tank... I'd rather see purple and white. :)
If I do switch over to IO, it will be through a series of small waterchanges (probably about 5-gallons each) for a few weeks so as not to mess with the water chemistry too much... but my diatoms definitely need to go.
I just spent quite a chunk on an RO/DI unit of which now I find out wasn't the problem... it's the salt I'm using. :(
I also don't have any SPS yet, mainly LPS and a couple of softies (Xenia, Zoa's, Sinularia, Shrooms) so I figured if I'm gonna switch I'd better do it before I start going SPS.

Thanks for the advice though... it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I've looked at silicate remover before (not sure which brand), but there were so many warnings and conditions of use that I shied away from it... the only thing worse than diatoms in my book would be to crash my tank trying to get rid of them.

I'll check around a bit more and see if I can find a different brand that's a bit safer to use, but I figure that if I 'starve them out' by removing whatever silica I can, in addition to a diatom filter I can nail them at both ends of the chain...
I used IO when I had a 10g FO tank years ago and never had a diatom problem, but I used Coralife this time around due to the reasons I mentioned... and which I'm regretting now.

Thanks for the advice...

It's starting to look like I hijacked Toadfish's thread... sorry about that. :)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Naw man...the thread was there to provoke this sort of conversation. I have enjoyed just sitting back, watching and learning from the educated discourse regarding this topic. It appears as though there are passionate feelings on this subject. It seems from the info provided that right now IO is the the salt of choice on the market. That's what I use, so I'll stick with it until I hear otherwise from the kind folks on this board.

·
Registered
479 Posts
IO - IO- Its Off To Work We Go.... (to make money to pay for our reefs that is - - he he he).

I'd like a dollar for every time someone (including myself) has started this discussion. As Toadfish states......most people surveyed use IO. Seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
OK, I am no expert but last week, (2 water changes ago) I needed to do an emergency water change, (because of some bad reef plus I got) anyway, I went to the closest lfs and he swears by Kent salt. Well, got some and could not believe how happy all the corals were. They seemed to open up more, (maybe because of the polution from the rancid product), but none the less I think I am sticking with it for now. I was using IO. Anyway, that is my .02 so what are you up to now? A dime??? LOL!!!:D

·
lazy reefer
919 Posts
who has the lencial stars i prob didnt spell it right but i no they are extremely hard to keep and some of the top scientist on the subjuct beliv that it is the amount of HM(heavy meatle) traces in the salt.

·
Administrator
48,763 Posts
Linkia's arent that hard to keep, you just have to understand the specific needs of echinoderms, acclimate them correctly and hope that they haven't suffered irrepairable damage in shipping and subsequent storage

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I ugess I have to agree with Sally. I started with Red Sea Salt (Petco had them on sale for 26 bucks a bucket here in georgia and just used the last bucket up about 2 months ago.) for about 2 years. When I couldn't find the brand, I went to Kent's (they are the local boys here in Atlanta) and was surprised at how well my corals have responded in the last two months. I am probably never gonna switch back. I guess it depends on the region also, Kent is more prevaliant that IO here .

Ray

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Reefer Addict said:
..but I figure that if I 'starve them out' by removing whatever silica I can, in addition to a diatom filter I can nail them at both ends of the chain...
siphoning the scrapings out as you do them would be better, maybe running them into a magnum with a pleated paper filter, as the diatomaceous earth used in diatom filters is...

diatom tests, composed of opaline silicate...:eek: :eek: :eek:

hth

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.