The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two crocea are exhibiting very different scute growth, that I can tell. The one I have had for a month came in with1/4" pearly white and is now up to 1/2 " new growth. My other one I have had for two weeks, shows no new growth that I am aware of.

The most recent one does not pull in its mantle as much as my other at night, so it is hard to tell about growth period. It lays tightly over the edge of the shell, and it is hard to see anything.

The only reason I post this as a concern is that someone on here noted that if maximas have no new growth they are more likely to perish due to algae growth.

They are both in the 3-3.5" range, with the one with more growth a little smaller. It's mantle is also more blue, as if that makes a difference. If need be I think I can get a shot tomorrow night.

My Ca runs about 460-480 and dKh around 7, because I would rather err on the side of Ca uptake than to harm growth.

I worry altogether too much,
David:confused: ;)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
David post a pic when ya can but you probably are fine.:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clams changing color?

Sorry I never posted a pic, but I finnally saw significant new growth on my second crocea. I was so excited. I guess it just took a little longer to start up since it has been in the tank a shorter period of time.
On a separate note, I was going throough some pics I took when I first got the clams and noticed that they are not as blue as originally, and in fact have turned purple with blue hightlights. Is this due to 175w AB13K and 18" from clam. The system they came out of had a 250 20K? I am still supplementing them, just so they have food to offset any lighting deficiencies.
Thanks as always,
David

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
yes they will change according to your particular lights I also feed dts even though I probably dont need to now I just like knowing it is in there for them:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts