The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me to a website that has common names and photos of softies? I am confused. I'm not sure if I have: polyps? Zoos? Zoas?:help: All of the above? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a quick one. I'd like to find a website that has lots of pics with common names.:read: Thanks for your help!:D
new corals 001resize.jpg

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I have that book! I understand the question tho; I've got all these different polyps and zoo's, so I've been calling my tiny polyped, tightly packed ones zoo's, and my larger polyped ones, er, polyps, or button polyps, but I don't know what they are, really. Then there's all those different shrooms which I have quite a few of now, they must be happy!

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
www.zoaid.com has lots of pictures of Zoos, zoas, zoanthids or whatever you want to refer to them as.....

Your pic is of zoos, people will "name" them based on their coloration....which will morph over time and look different as they spread. That site has some awesome pictures on it.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
zoo's, zoa's, are both zoanthus, just a quick name people reffer to them with, they are all polyps, and every coral also has polyps, its simply the part that extends from the base of a coral, but what is in the pic is also just called polyps, there are other corals that are confused or labeled zoo's also, button polyps palythoa, and protopalythoa, some are larger, some have a different shape, but all are very similar, and no one will jump on you for mis-identifying them, so simply zoo's or polyps will always work.

·
11,345 Posts
leveldrummer said:
zoo's, zoa's, are both zoanthus, just a quick name people reffer to them with, they are all polyps, and every coral also has polyps, its simply the part that extends from the base of a coral, but what is in the pic is also just called polyps, there are other corals that are confused or labeled zoo's also, button polyps palythoa, and protopalythoa, some are larger, some have a different shape, but all are very similar, and no one will jump on you for mis-identifying them, so simply zoo's or polyps will always work.
Sounds as though SOMEBODY has been doing some reading over the last couple of months:read:

:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Fly Guy said:
Sounds as though SOMEBODY has been doing some reading over the last couple of months:read:

:thumbup:
nah, ive just been stealing answers from alaska, lol, just kiddin, im doing ok, still alot out there that i have no clue about, i just like to sound smart about the corals i have.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ReelFreak said:
www.zoaid.com has lots of pictures of Zoos, zoas, zoanthids or whatever you want to refer to them as.....

Your pic is of zoos, people will "name" them based on their coloration....which will morph over time and look different as they spread. That site has some awesome pictures on it.
What an awesome site! Thanks for the link. It's exactly what I was looking for. I'd like to order one of each now please....:thumbup:

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Yea, that site is probably responsible for more than one persons Zoo addiction !! ;)

Platypus is right, generally the larger ones are palys and commonly called "button polyps".....I believe some of them are actually somewhat toxic and handling them should be done with gloves. I've seen some of them pushing 2" across !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts