The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I Live in Florida and water goes quick. If I don't do something, the future corals' health will go quicker from the rapid changes in salinity . I want to have a 5 gallon top off that is very reliable. does anyone have a good setup or know of a site that has very detailed instructions and pictures (I need pictures; I'm completely a visual learner.).

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
I have a kent marine plastic float switch. I put it in my sump and ran RO line to a 10 gallon holding tank, this goes in through the bottom and a bulkhead with a jhon guest fitting.

I did not go the powered route, because I figured it was more chance for failure, and this setup only cost me $20.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's one to consider. simplicity is always good. How is the float switch mounted to the sump. Pictures of top off setups would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just read something funny on that link. on the bottom it says "Note: Not recommended for level control in aquariums."

Why else would it be on that site? It sounds like a disclaimer.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know that top offs are simple, I just want to see a bunch of ideas so I can see which is best for me.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
Evil McToast said:
that's one to consider. simplicity is always good. How is the float switch mounted to the sump. Pictures of top off setups would be greatly appreciated.
Right now they are both drilled, but on my 50, before I swapped sumps, I used a small acrilic holding bracket I made.

I will see if I can find a pic of my sump, or never mind, that will just show the valve.

The problem is that the holding container is 50 feet from the tank, so showing a pic of the system is impossible. Sorry.

Whiskey

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before I heard an idea just to drip feed the water with a 5 gallon jug and two valves. While I like the simplicity. I don't like the feeling of helplessness while I'm away.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
Evil McToast said:
I just read something funny on that link. on the bottom it says "Note: Not recommended for level control in aquariums."

Why else would it be on that site? It sounds like a disclaimer.
Does it really? Huh, that is marine depot's sight. What that valve is ment to be is a RO holding tank switch, to hook up to your RO system and shut it down when a container is full.

What they DON'T want people doing is hooking their RO system right to this valve in their sump, because if a wire from your return pump ever jamms it down you have one heck of a mess and lots of dead critters. (100GPD supply of freshwater)

That is why I run it to a 10G container, that will only drop my SG .01 in case of failure. The only time it has ever failed open was due to a cord jamming it down or something. I did have it fail closed once when kalk crusted it up, but I just cleaned it out.

I have used this valve for a good 2.5 years now.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Loverotties said:
I bought mine off e-bay all you need is tubing and a powerhead! I think the name was Mermaid.
that sounds good too; keep em comin'

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a JBJ auto-top off. It has worked without fail for about 1.5 years. A lot of people will do DIY projects on this but you can get one of these for about $80 an know it's reliable. Just add a power head and be done with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wiskey said:
Does it really? Huh, that is marine depot's sight. What that valve is ment to be is a RO holding tank switch, to hook up to your RO system and shut it down when a container is full.

What they DON'T want people doing is hooking their RO system right to this valve in their sump, because if a wire from your return pump ever jamms it down you have one heck of a mess and lots of dead critters. (100GPD supply of freshwater)

That is why I run it to a 10G container, that will only drop my SG .01 in case of failure. The only time it has ever failed open was due to a cord jamming it down or something. I did have it fail closed once when kalk crusted it up, but I just cleaned it out.

I have used this valve for a good 2.5 years now.

HTH,
Whiskey
oh. well this does sound like a promising idea, with a low hazard potential. Do you think two feet above the sump would be high enough?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hvacguy said:
I use a JBJ auto-top off. It has worked without fail for about 1.5 years. A lot of people will do DIY projects on this but you can get one of these for about $80 an know it's reliable. Just add a power head and be done with it. Good luck.

the expensive, yet safe way. Hmmm, I think i'll try DIY first before dishin' out that kind of money. I have to try and be cheap and efficient. Great idea if I could afford it though.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
Yes, my 15's is about that far above the sump and it works great.

I use a 4 gallon holding tank for the 15 for the same reason. If something fails, and it dumps 4 gallons into a tank with a 22 gallon total volume the SG does not drop low enough to kill anything. Also the RO line doesn't pass water through it too fast, so it would take about a hour to dump in.

But if the holding tank were 20 gallons, it could kill stuff.

HTH,
Whiskey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts