The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here it is.. my new combo kalk/calc reactor from stoney reef :)

this thing is sweet. i have no idea how to hook it up, or what all it does, or how it works. but i know it looks cool :rolleyes: thankfully patrick sent me a diagram explaining what the stuff is.. but i still dont know what it is :funny: :funny:

from the way patrick explained it to me, the point behind the combo is to have both reactors in one small foot print. so it takes up less space in the stand.

the foot print is only 17"L x 7"W x 25" tall :)

came with everything, including a float switch, and backup redundant float switch :)

only thing i have to get now is a co2 canister, regulator, solenoid, ad some hose.

oh man i cant wait to get this tank up and running!!!!

btw: if you want to see patrick's other stuff, or get more info about the combo.. it's www.stoneyreef.com

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i actually receive it, i'll take some closeups and of course some shots of it in the stand sitting so pretty in front of my sump :D

but patrick just emailed me that it was finished and mailed me some pics to prove it :funny: so i jsut couldn't wait to post it for ya'all.

i can hear my clams singing and my stonies jumping for joy already!!! :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well I guess the cat is out of the bag!!!!!

We all know the absolute best thing for a stoney reef tank is dosing kalkwasser for pH control and using a Calcium reactor to stabilize and keep up with Calcium demand in a tank. I figure no need to buy separate pieces of equipment and take up even more room when you can get them in a space saving design. Thus, I took the stoney reef kalk reactor, looked at several Calcium reactor designs, changed some things I did not like, added some things I did like, and voila!

When hooked up in reverse flow, the media will not compact which should let the end user use more reactor media. Additionally in the reverse flow, it automatically introduces a CO2 recirculation loop to reduce the amount of CO2 usage. I wanted a cheap easy bubble counter just in case people did not get one with their regulator combos. I made sure that the effluent out, is not the highest point of reactor so that the CO2 is FORCED back into the water re-circulation. I reinforced the calcium reactor where the output of the re-circulation pump inputs into the reactor so that it is not easy to break the fitting. I believe the biggest asset of the reactor, is each tube is recessed into both the top flanges and the bases thus it allows more contact between both pieces of acrylic which I believe, makes a stronger joint.

The only things not pictured, is the mag 3 pump, the valve for effluent control, and the fluval foam that sits on top of the media to stop the media on initial start up from entering the pump. This is immediately after the water test thus all the extra water!

Now, anyone want to give Jay a primer on Calcium reactors? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did building it! Thanks Jay!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just wanted to make sure everyone saw this... it got lost quickly with all the activity yesterday :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Jay,

You said you wanted a finished pic of the reactor with all the hoses and pump hook ups etc etc. So I COMPLETELY finished it!

It will ship out tomorrow if I crawl out of slumber early enough to hit UPS before work.

Here is your Pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ME flip flop back and forth.. noo.. not me... :D

see i like to diy so much, it'll take all the fun away when the tank is filled and i cant do anything to it anymore :) then what'll i do???

i know.. and a few others know... but dont worry, the surprise is coming VERY soon for the rest of you :D

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
thefatman said:
ME flip flop back and forth.. noo.. not me... :D

see i like to diy so much, it'll take all the fun away when the tank is filled and i cant do anything to it anymore :) then what'll i do???

i know.. and a few others know... but dont worry, the surprise is coming VERY soon for the rest of you :D
yahoo im excited:dance: :beer: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Stoney, when are you going to update the website to show off the new piece? Do you have one of these running on your 46?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am working on the page now, but I want to get the right links up for some equipment, IE CO2 stuff. I have the initial pictures, I have them running on the 46 just in separate units. This is both units put together in a space saving design.

I know I am going to get crap from Casey for saying this, but Jay is in charge of set up pics and running pics, as I wanted a pure novice to do them so I had some good feedback for the page. That is as Casey is thinking right now, he ever gets water in his tank!!!!

But I plan to have an initial page up tonight about it. Just need to get cracking!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.