The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all. Hopefully no one has a case of the Mondays today :)
Well my colt coral sure does. Actually it has been going downhill for a while. I have a 90 gal, nitates 5-10, everything else reads out good. I am also battling a case of red slime. None of the red slime is on the rocks or coral though. The Colt is the only coral in the tank. I have 3 fish, 2 blue damsels and 1 yellow tail wrasse. I havn't seen him nip at the colt yet.(And i watch alot!!) I had a terrible lighting system before, but the colt lasted for a good 2 months before it started to shrink. Last week I got my new lighting 48" outer orbit. 2 150 Watt HQI 2 dual actinics 96 watt, moon lighting. I have only turned the lights on for 7 hours a day. The colt is still shrinking. When is it time to get rid of it?? Will it release anything into the water while its disinigrating. I hope I can help it comback but I fear its too late? Any suggestions or questions would be great.

Thanks all

Markus

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got the new lights I put the actinics on for 7 hours and the MH on for 4. I have gone up an hour on both as of today. I also just switched to RO water. Maybe that has something to do with it too.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
What Kind of lights was it under before? I can't see switching to RO water being the problem. But it could be shocked by the new lights

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the colt started shrinking even before the new lights came on. But it used to be under 2 60 Watt florescents.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Ok then lights must not be the issue :( Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in with a better answer for you

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its in a place not covered by anything so it gets full light. Moderate flow. I did move it one time and its never been the same since I moved it form that spot. But I have read the Colts aren't very picky so it should do well whever its placed.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
also are you feeding it any kind of coral food (ie cylopeeze) and how is the calcium in the tank? any major fluctuations in temp?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some phytoplankton that I put in but was holding back because the colts polyps were never out, so I thought I was wasting it. Calcium levels are fairly low at 280. Due to a alk & calc issue I have been battling but its coming back in place now.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Ok may be doug will chime in here I might try to feed it. I out of ideas other wise.

·
Administrator
46,680 Posts
I have had a few colts that did OK for a long time then started going down hill for no apperent reason. One had some necrosis in the central stalk, the frags I made and gave away did ok but I wasnt able to save to original.
You might try an iodidne dip at this point

1 - 12 of 12 Posts