The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought i would start a new thread and see if anyone else is like me and enjoy catching and collecting things themselves to stock their tank with.

Maybe hear some different strategies, why you do it, best things you've caught, etc.

Personally the favorite thing i have caught was a juvenile tail spot butterfly. He/she was about a nickel when i caught him and is now about a half dollar. its so cool watching him grow. I have also caught a bunch of juv. angels, very few corals, some wrasse's, cleaner shrimp, coral banded shrimp, tons of hermits, a conch, and recently caught two tiny pistol shrimp( one might be 1/4 inch)

What have you guys/gals caught?
What are your ideas behind collecting your own things?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Isn't it illegal to take coral and conchs from Florida? Might want to check laws.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard corals yes, and some soft, but there is a list of which ones you can take. As far as conchs yes you cant take queen conch, most others are fine.

But i know what your saying, and thats half the problem, knowing what you can and cant take. But as long as you do your research before you go chopping the reef up, its still legal in florida with a salt water fishing license.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts