The Reef Tank banner
2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  MarineDorito 
#1 ·
In my tank i have coin plant growing. At first it was just a little piece in one spot but now it is huge and has cropd in numerous places. I have nothing that eats it and i am alwase cutting it back. It looks neat but is an explosive grower. does anyone no of any fish of inverts that will help my cause? Any help at all would be most appriciated.

#3 ·
No, thats just what i have heard it called. It almost looks like flat grapes on a vine that has roots as well as the flat grape like leaves. its very green and were it is growing it is kida white. sorry my camera is messed up right now.

#8 ·
I could be wrong but I do think he is talking about Halmedia. (aka the money plant)
hence the coin term.

Limiting nutrients will not do much for this macro and do not known of anything that will eat it.

It is a calcareous macro so it will actually consume calcium.

from LA:
The Halimeda plant is a green calcareous macroalgae found within tropical oceans worldwide, and is a beautiful decorative plant for a marine aquarium. The irregular oval segments of Halimeda appear as several small green coins glued from end-to-end, forming a chain. For this reason, Halimeda may also be called the Money Plant. Calcareous algae deposit calcium carbonate in their tissues, and require a sufficient calcium level in the aquarium in order to thrive. Halimeda are generally hardy in a marine aquarium, and few fish will feed on it. It is not an invasive plant that will cause harm to close neighboring corals or invertebrates. In addition to light, it requires a sufficient level of calcium to grow. They are not as tolerant of high nitrate or phosphate levels compared to some other algae. They also do not tolerate extensive pruning.

#9 ·
Its going insane!! Its been in the tank for over a year but just in the past 4 or 5 months it has taken of like crazy. popping up everywere. there is now 5 individuale clumps. I have to cut he biggest back every few days so it dosent start taking over even worse. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.